How can I prove that a sequence converges to a limit for every epsilon?

In summary, the author backsolve to find the convergence of a sequence, and found that it works for any epsilon>0. However, by back solving, he has to assume that e is fixed.
FallenApple
Ok, I'm reviewing my real analysis and found a point of confusion.

So for a sequence S(n) to converge to S, for every e>0 there exists N such that n>N implies |S(n)-S|<e.

Ok that makes sense. However when I backsolve and find N as a function of epsilon, and then formally proving forwards,

I'm supposed to use the statement, Given e>0, let N(e). Then for any n>N(e), we have |S(n)-S|<eBasically, I found N as a function of a specific epsilon, and that is somehow accounting for all of the epsilions? Because the original statement is for every epsilon>0. I can only show that it works for one of them.

How to reconcile this?

Is it because once N is a function of e, then for fixed e, n>N(e) wouldn't work anymore? I must say that for any n>N(e) since now n must vary based off of e?

So basically its an application of this: for every A there exists a B <=> for every B there exists an A.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
However when I backsolve and find N as a function of epsilon, and then formally proving forwards,

I'm supposed to use the statement, Given e>0, let N(e). Then for any n>N(e), we have |S(n)-S|<eBasically, I found N as a function of a specific epsilon, and that is somehow accounting for all of the epsilions?
When you back-solved to find N as a function of ε, did you do it for a particular value of ε or for any ε > 0?

FactChecker said:
When you back-solved to find N as a function of ε, did you do it for a particular value of ε or for any ε > 0?
Well it was for any I suppose. I mean if I want to find convergence of 1/n, setting N=1/e will solve the problem. And e is not a particular numeric value.

But by back solving, you have to logically assume that e is fixed. Because it said for "any" e there exists an N such that n>N...

So I pick epsilon= e. Then I can find an N(e). such that n>N(e).

Going forward, I can only say for e>0, where N=N(e). So its for this particular e.

FallenApple said:
Well it was for any I suppose. I mean if I want to find convergence of 1/n, setting N=1/e will solve the problem. And e is not a particular numeric value.

But by back solving, you have to logically assume that e is fixed. Because it said for "any" e there exists an N such that n>N...
You can think of this as "for any fixed e, there exists ...". I say that, because in the rest of that section of the proof, you assume that e represents the same number everywhere it appears. The most important word is "any".
The wording of the proof may be a little ambiguous, but the logic is sound and the wording is an accepted standard.

Likes FallenApple
FactChecker said:
You can think of this as "for any fixed e, there exists ...". I say that, because in the rest of that section of the proof, you assume that e represents the same number everywhere it appears. The most important word is "any".
The wording of the proof may be a little ambiguous, but the logic is sound and the wording is an accepted standard.

Ah got it. Thanks.

1. How do I define a sequence converging to a limit for every epsilon?

In order to prove that a sequence converges to a limit for every epsilon, you must show that for any value of epsilon, there exists a natural number N such that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon for all n greater than or equal to N.

2. What is the definition of a limit in a sequence?

A limit in a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index n increases without bound. It represents the ultimate behavior of the sequence and can be thought of as the "end goal" of the sequence.

3. How can I prove that a sequence converges to a specific limit?

To prove that a sequence converges to a specific limit, you must show that for any epsilon, there exists a natural number N such that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon for all n greater than or equal to N. This is commonly known as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

4. Is it possible for a sequence to have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. However, it is possible for a sequence to have no limit, in which case it is considered to be divergent.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to proving a sequence converges to a limit for every epsilon?

No, there are no shortcuts or tricks to proving a sequence converges to a limit for every epsilon. The only way to prove this is by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit and showing that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit can be made arbitrarily small for all values of epsilon.