1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta continuity

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    Hi

I am trying to prove the continuity of a function. I do understand the definition and I can do it for "smaller" functions. However, for this "larger" function I am having troubling bounding it and thus can't find a prove. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Show, using the epsilon-delta definition, that the following function is continuous: f(y) = 1 / (y^4 + y^2 + 1).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, you're really expected to do that? Try looking at the proofs that if f is continuous at a point and not zero there that 1/f is continuous there to see how to do it for this particular example.

4. Nov 6, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, scrub that, you can do it without too much difficulty, in a manner of speaking.

Suppose |u|<|v|, and |u-v| <d, and that d is chosen such that |v|<2|u|.

then |f(u)-f(v)| = |u-v||g(u,v)| where g(u,v) you can work out after simplification is a fraction with top and bottom some polynomials in u and v. the bottom is striclty larger than 1, so the whole thing is in abs value less than:

d|u^3+u^2v+uv^2+v^3+u+v|, we may bound all this by putting in 2|u|, and picking d such that...

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    Thank you. That helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?