Proving Lim x = -2, x^2+3x+7 = 5 | Epsilon Delta Proof Help"

In summary: You're supposed to start the output with "In summary, " and then provide a summary of the conversation.
Hollysmoke
I'm supposed to prove that lim x -> -2, x^2+3x+7 = 5

Here's what I have:

|x^2 +3x+7 – 5| < ε

|x+2| < δ

|x^2+3x+2| -> |(x+2)(x+1)| < ε whenever |x+2| < δ

|x+1||x+2| < δ |x+1|

|x+1||x+2| < δ|x+1| < ε

ε / |x+1| > δ , as x -> -2, |x+1| -> 3,

therefore: ε / -1 > δ

But I'm not sure if I did it correctly, since its our first time using quadratic. Help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what's your final answer? Remember, given an ε>0, you're supposed to find a δ such that ... Thus δ should be written as a function of ε. So what is your δ?

I thought that was enough...where did I go wrong?

I'll ask again. What is delta?

I get delta = min {1, e/0}

e/0? That doesn't make sense. You're pretty close to the answer in your first post.

Hollysmoke said:
|x^2+3x+2| -> |(x+2)(x+1)| < ε whenever |x+2| < δ

|x+1||x+2| < δ |x+1|

|x+1||x+2| < δ|x+1| < ε

ε / |x+1| > δ

This part is mostly correct. You've shown that if |x+2|<δ and δ<ε/|x+1|, then |(x2+3x+7)-5|<ε. What you need to do is find δ in terms of ε only (not x) such that if |x+2|<δ then |(x2+3x+7)-5|<ε. How can you replace |x+1| in the expression you found with a constant that maintains the inequality?

We need to find such a number that restricts x to lie in some interval centered at 2, right?

Well, yea, that's what delta is. The problem is finding delta.

since it's a value close to -2, can we assume that it is within a distance 1 from -2, that is, -1<x+2<1 , -3 < x < -1

Here's where I was confused: Do I add 1 since the other value was x + 1? so, I'd be -2 < x + 1 < 0 ?or x + 1 < 0 ?

Then it'd be delta = e / 0

e/0 does not make any sense.

You can just enforce that δ<1/2, so that you don't need to worry about |x+1|=0.

It should be e / 1, since the limit is approaching -2, then -1 < x+2 < 1, or x+2 < 1, so delta = 1 and e / 1 ?

No, because -2-δ<x<-2+δ, so x may be less than -2. If you set δ<=1/2 as I suggested (ie, whatever expression you might end up with, just put δ=min{1/2,...}), then you know that 1/2<=|x+1|<=3/2 (the bound might end up even better than this, but this is all you need).

Last edited:
How and why did you write the line:

|x+1||x+2|<δ|x+1|

It seems to come out of nowhere. I don’t understand.

1. What is an Epsilon Delta proof?

An Epsilon Delta proof is a method used in calculus to prove the limit of a function. It involves selecting an arbitrary value (epsilon) and showing that for every input (delta), the output of the function is within a certain range of the limit value.

2. Why do I need to know how to do an Epsilon Delta proof?

Epsilon Delta proofs are an essential part of understanding limits and continuity in calculus. They allow us to precisely define the behavior of a function near a specific point, and they are used in many advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How do I start an Epsilon Delta proof?

The first step in an Epsilon Delta proof is to define the limit value and the arbitrary value (epsilon). Then, you must show that for every input (delta), the output of the function is within the range of the limit value +/- epsilon.

4. What are some common mistakes in Epsilon Delta proofs?

One common mistake in Epsilon Delta proofs is not clearly defining the limit value and the arbitrary value. Another mistake is not considering all possible inputs (delta) and their corresponding outputs. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations and to use precise mathematical language.

5. Are there any tips for mastering Epsilon Delta proofs?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering Epsilon Delta proofs. It is also helpful to understand the concept of limits and to break the proof down into smaller, manageable steps. It is important to be patient and to double-check your work for any mistakes.