1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta proof of limits

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove (using epsilon-delta definition only) that the limit of the following expression:
    [itex]sqrt(n^2+n)-n[/itex]
    is 1/2, as n tends towards infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    For any ε > 0, there exists some natural number N, such that:
    n > N gives|f(n) - L| < ε

3. The attempt at a solution
    Multiply by the conjugate pair and simplify to obtain:
    [itex]n/[sqrt(n^2+n)+n][/itex]

Taking the expression to be compared against ε
    |[itex]n/[sqrt(n^2+n)+n] - 1/2[/itex]| and finding a common denominator gives:

[itex]|2n/2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n] - [sqrt(n^2+n)+n]/2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n]|[/itex]
    [itex]|[n-sqrt(n^2+n)] / 2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n]|[/itex]

The numerator is always negative and the denominator is always positive, so the expression can be re-written as:
    [itex][sqrt(n^2+n) - n][/itex] / [itex]2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n][/itex]

I chose to split this up into two terms:
    [itex]sqrt(n^2+n)[/itex] / [itex]2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n][/itex] minus
    [itex]n[/itex] / [itex]2[sqrt(n^2+n)+n][/itex]

I have an expression in the form a/b-c/d. Decreasing "b", decreasing "c" and increasing "d" both increase the value of the expression, thus the expression below is strictly greater than the
    expression above.

[itex]sqrt(n^2+n)[/itex] / [itex]2[sqrt(n^2+n)][/itex] minus
    [itex]1[/itex] / [itex]2[sqrt(n^2+n^2)+n][/itex]

This simplifies to [itex]1/2[/itex] - [itex]1[/itex] / [itex]n(2sqrt(2)+1)][/itex]

Both terms in this expression are positive. Thus, changing the subtraction to addition will strictly increase the value of the entire quantity.

Thus, comparing
    [itex]1/2[/itex] + [itex]1[/itex] / [itex]n(2sqrt(2)+1)[/itex] against ε is enough.

Solving for n results in some mess that results in:
    n > (positive constant) / (ε - 1/2)

Clearly, something has gone awry. Consideration of an arbitrarily small ε reveals the RHS to be negative. That would imply that the first term in my sequence is already arbitrarily close to my limit.

Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure. Why don't you just take your result n/(sqrt(n^2+1)+n) and write it as n/(n*sqrt(1+1/n^2)+n), cancel the n's and give it a fresh thought.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's an approach that's simpler, that I think you can use.
    You can start with this inequality:
    [tex]\sqrt{n^2 + n} - n < \epsilon[/tex]

You don't need absolute values, since the radical expression is always > n for n > 0, hence the expression on the left side above is always positive.

Now, add n to both sides, and then square both sides, the idea being that if a < b, then a^2 < b^2, where a and b are positive.

That gets you to
    [tex]n^2 + n < (n + \epsilon)^2[/tex]

After cleaning a bit, you get to
    [tex]\epsilon^2 + 2n\epsilon - n > 0[/tex]

That's a quadratic in epsilon, so that should get you a relationship between epsilon and n, from which you can find the number N that you want.

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, you don't want to show |sqrt(n^2+n)-n|<e. It isn't. The limit is 1/2. You want to show |sqrt(n^+n)-n-1/2|<e.

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Oops! Well, no wonder it was easier. After my first stab got nowhere, I used a clean sheet of paper and omitted that 1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook