1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta proof

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1

GBR

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use an epsilon-delta proof to show that f(x) = sqrt(x) is continuous in x = 4.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

|f(x) - f(4)| = |sqrt(x) - sqrt(4)| < ε
    = |x-4| < ε²

And now what? I'm not even sure I'm on the right path. My biggest problem during these proofs is choosing an ε and relating it to |x-a| < δ to complete the proof. Please bear with me; I recently went back to school as a physics undergrad, and realize my math-fu is destroyed after six years as a journalist :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    This will work for sufficiently small ε. We have
    [tex]|\sqrt{x}-2|=\frac{|\sqrt{x}+2|}{|\sqrt{x}+2|}|\sqrt{x}-2|=|x-4|/|\sqrt{x}+2|<\frac{\epsilon^2}{|\sqrt{x}+2|}[/tex].
    If, for example, ε<1, this is less than ε.
    My strategy is to start with what you want to get (epsilon inequality) and work it backwards to get bound for |x-x0|.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can't go from this inequality |sqrt(x) - sqrt(4)| < ε to this one |x-4| < ε². The reason is that |sqrt(x) - sqrt(4)|² is not equal to |x - 4|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook