Solving Epsilon Delta Proof: |x^2 - 9| < ε

In summary, you are trying to prove that |x^2 - 9| < ε given the conditions |x-3| < ε/7 and 0 < x-3 ≤ 1. However, your current approach is not valid as it assumes the fact you are trying to prove. To start the proof, you can use the given conditions to make a statement about the value of |x+3|, which can then be used to further manipulate the inequality.
kramer733

Homework Statement

if |x-3| < ε/7 and 0 < x ≤ 7 prove that |x^2 - 9| < ε

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So ths is what I did so far.

|x+3|*|x-3| < ε (factored out the |x^2 - 9|)

|x+3|*|x-3| < |x+3|* ε/7 < ε (used the fact that |x-3| < ε/7)

|x+3|* ε/7 *7 < ε*7|x-3| < ε/7*7 (multiplied both sides of the inequality by 7)

I suck at epsilon delta proofs and have no idea where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
kramer733 said:

Homework Statement

if |x-3| < ε/7 and 0 < x ≤ 7 prove that |x^2 - 9| < ε

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So ths is what I did so far.

|x+3|*|x-3| < ε (factored out the |x^2 - 9|)

|x+3|*|x-3| < |x+3|* ε/7 < ε (used the fact that |x-3| < ε/7)

|x+3|* ε/7 *7 < ε*7|x-3| < ε/7*7 (multiplied both sides of the inequality by 7)

I suck at epsilon delta proofs and have no idea where to go from here.
It looks to me like the problem should read something like:
if |x-3| < ε/7 and 0 < x-3 ≤ 1, prove that |x2 - 9| < ε​
Otherwise you can only show that |x2 - 9| < (10/7) ε .

More importantly, you are to prove that |x2 - 9| < ε. The way you are trying to go about this is to assume the fact which you are trying to prove. That is not a valid way to go about this.

Added in Edit:

I had a typo originally. See the correction in Red.

Last edited:
How do i get started on this proof then/?

kramer733 said:
How do i get started on this proof then/?

If x-3 ≤ 1, what does that say about x+3 ?

x+3<7

kramer733 said:
x+3<7
Correct.

I suppose I should have asked "What if -1 ≤ x-3 ≤ 1" or any suitable left hand value.

So, if 5 ≤ x+3 ≤ 7, then you can definitely say that |x+3| ≤ 7 . Correct?

Last edited:

What is an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a method used to rigorously prove the limit of a function. It involves using the concept of an arbitrarily small number (epsilon) and finding a corresponding value (delta) which, when added to or subtracted from the input of the function, results in an output that is within epsilon of the desired limit.

Why is it important to use an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is important because it allows us to prove the existence of a limit with mathematical certainty. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point and can be used to prove the continuity of a function.

How do you solve an epsilon delta proof for |x^2 - 9| < ε?

To solve this proof, we must first define the limit we are trying to prove. In this case, we are trying to prove that the limit of x^2 as x approaches 3 is equal to 9. Next, we must manipulate the given inequality to isolate x. We can do this by factoring the expression inside the absolute value and setting it equal to ε, giving us the expression |x - 3||x + 3| = ε. Then, we can choose a value for delta, such that when we substitute it into the expression, it satisfies the inequality. Finally, we must show that for all values of x that are within delta of 3, the expression |x - 3||x + 3| will be less than ε, thereby proving the limit.

What are some common mistakes when solving an epsilon delta proof?

Some common mistakes when solving an epsilon delta proof include choosing an incorrect value for delta, not properly manipulating the given inequality, and not properly showing that the chosen delta satisfies the inequality for all x values within delta of the desired limit.

How can epsilon delta proofs be applied in real-world situations?

Epsilon delta proofs can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in engineering and physics, to prove the existence of limits and the continuity of functions. They can also be used in economics and statistics to analyze data and make predictions. In general, epsilon delta proofs can be used to provide rigorous mathematical explanations and justifications in any field that involves the use of limits and functions.