Proving $\frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{3}-9} \rightarrow -\frac{1}{4}$ Using Epsilon-Delta

• Thread starter italiano91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving a limit using first principles. The method used is an epsilon-delta proof and the conversation goes through the steps of finding the right hand side in terms of epsilon alone. The boundaries are then considered and a value for delta is calculated which leads to the proof being completed.
italiano91
The question is to prove [itex]\frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{3}-9}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] as [itex]x[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1, using first principles, i.e. using an epsilon-delta proof.

I understand the method and get to this stage:

[itex]|x-1|[/itex]|[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] < ε

which leads to [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < [itex]\frac{ε}{|\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|}[/itex]

Now I need to get the right hand side in terms of ε alone without x, so I know I need to look at the boundaries of |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] using the assumption [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1.

I want the RHS to be as small as possible so this will be when |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] is at its maximum, and this is where I'm unsure if what I've done next is correct.

Using [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1 to get -1 < [itex]x-1[/itex] < 1 and then 0 < [itex]x[/itex] < 2, and then taking the numerator [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] first, is there any problem with putting 0 and 2 respectivley into the formula to get it's min and max values?

ie is 5 < [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] < 19 (and hence) 5 < |[itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex]| < 19 correct?

The same applies to [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex], is -36 < [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex] < -4 (and hence) 4 < |[itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex]| < 36 correct?

If so I can get [itex]\frac{4ε}{19}[/itex] and I can finish the proof.

thanks

ps sorry about the messy latex first time using it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
italiano91 said:
The question is to prove [itex]\frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{3}-9}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] as [itex]x[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1, using first principles, i.e. using an epsilon-delta proof.

I understand the method and get to this stage:

[itex]|x-1|[/itex][itex]|\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] < ε

which leads to [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < [itex]\frac{ε}{|\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|}[/itex]

Now I need to get the right hand side in terms of ε alone without x, so I know I need to look at the boundaries of |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] using the assumption [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1.

I want the RHS to be as small as possible so this will be when |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] is at its maximum, and this is where I'm unsure if what I've done next is correct.

Using [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1 to get -1 < [itex]x-1[/itex] < 1 and then 0 < [itex]x[/itex] < 2, and then taking the numerator [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] first, is there any problem with putting 0 and 2 respectively into the formula to get it's min and max values?

ie is 5 < [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] < 19 (and hence) 5 < |[itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex]| < 19 correct?

The same applies to [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex], is -36 < [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex] < -4 (and hence) 4 < |[itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex]| < 36 correct?

If so I can get [itex]\frac{4ε}{19}[/itex] and I can finish the proof.

thanks

ps sorry about the messy latex first time using it.
The Latex looks fine.

I didn't go through all of your derivation. However, the result, [itex]\displaystyle \delta=\min\left(1,\ \frac{4ε}{19}\right)[/itex] is correct, (if that's what you meant).

SammyS said:
The Latex looks fine.

I didn't go through all of your derivation. However, the result, [itex]\displaystyle \delta=\min\left(1,\ \frac{4ε}{19}\right)[/itex] is correct, (if that's what you meant).

Thanks a lot

What is the purpose of using Epsilon-Delta to prove a limit?

The Epsilon-Delta method is a rigorous mathematical approach used to prove that a limit exists and has a specific value. It allows for a precise and logical way to show that a function approaches a certain value as its input (x) gets closer to a specific point. This method is commonly used by mathematicians and scientists to prove the validity of a limit.

What does the value of epsilon represent in this proof?

Epsilon is a small positive number that represents the acceptable margin of error in the limit evaluation. It is used to show that the difference between the value of the limit and the value of the function can be made arbitrarily small by choosing an appropriate value for delta. In other words, epsilon determines how close the function needs to be to the limit value in order to satisfy the definition of a limit.

How is the value of delta determined in this proof?

Delta is determined based on the chosen value of epsilon. It represents the distance between the input (x) and the specific point where the limit is being evaluated. Delta is chosen to ensure that when the input is within a certain distance of the specific point, the output of the function will be within the acceptable margin of error (epsilon) of the limit value.

Why is it important to use a logical approach, such as Epsilon-Delta, to prove a limit?

Using a logical approach, such as Epsilon-Delta, to prove a limit ensures that the limit is truly valid and not just an estimation. It eliminates any potential errors or assumptions and provides a rigorous and precise way to show that the limit exists and has a specific value. This method is important in mathematics and science as it allows for a deeper understanding and verification of limits.

What are the key steps involved in using Epsilon-Delta to prove a limit?

The key steps involved in using Epsilon-Delta to prove a limit are:

1. Start with the definition of a limit: for a function f(x), as x approaches a certain point a, the limit of f(x) is equal to L.
  2. Introduce epsilon and delta: let epsilon be a small positive number and delta be a small positive number representing the distance between x and a.
  3. Establish the condition for the limit: the absolute value of the difference between f(x) and L must be less than epsilon for all x satisfying 0 < |x-a| < delta.
  4. Use algebraic manipulation to find a suitable expression for delta in terms of epsilon.
  5. Show that the condition for the limit is satisfied when 0 < |x-a| < delta.
  6. Conclude that the limit of f(x) is equal to L.