1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta proof

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    The question is to prove [itex]\frac{x^{2}+1}{x^{3}-9}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] as [itex]x[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1, using first principles, i.e. using an epsilon-delta proof.

I understand the method and get to this stage:

[itex]|x-1|[/itex]|[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] < ε

which leads to [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < [itex]\frac{ε}{|\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|}[/itex]

Now I need to get the right hand side in terms of ε alone without x, so I know I need to look at the boundaries of |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] using the assumption [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1.

I want the RHS to be as small as possible so this will be when |[itex]\frac{x^{2}+5x+5}{4(x^{3}-9)}|[/itex] is at its maximum, and this is where I'm unsure if what I've done next is correct.

Using [itex]|x-1|[/itex] < 1 to get -1 < [itex]x-1[/itex] < 1 and then 0 < [itex]x[/itex] < 2, and then taking the numerator [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] first, is there any problem with putting 0 and 2 respectivley into the formula to get it's min and max values?

ie is 5 < [itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex] < 19 (and hence) 5 < |[itex]x^{2}+5x+5[/itex]| < 19 correct?

The same applies to [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex], is -36 < [itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex] < -4 (and hence) 4 < |[itex]4(x^{3}-9)[/itex]| < 36 correct?

If so I can get [itex]\frac{4ε}{19}[/itex] and I can finish the proof.

thanks

ps sorry about the messy latex first time using it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Latex looks fine.

I didn't go through all of your derivation. However, the result, [itex]\displaystyle \delta=\min\left(1,\ \frac{4ε}{19}\right)[/itex] is correct, (if that's what you meant).

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook