Solving Epsilon Delta Proof: lim 3 as x->6 & lim -1 as x->2

In summary, for the given limit problems, both are horizontal lines and therefore have no intersection with the function. To prove the limits, we can choose any δ value and show that for any ε > 0, there exists a δ such that for any x satisfying 0 < |x - a| < δ, the difference between the function and its limit is less than ε.
freezer

Homework Statement

lim 3 as x->6
lim -1 as x->2

Homework Equations

In the first weeks of a calculus class and doing these epsilon delta proofs.

As i am looking at two of the problems i have been assigned:

Lim 3 as x->6
Lim -1 as x->2

The Attempt at a Solution

considering both are horzontal lines, if i give some ε then there is no intersection with the function and thus no δ. ε must be > 0 so not sure how our proof statement will work:

Given ε>0, choose δ=ε. If 0<0<δ, then |0|<δ, then |3-3| = |0| < δ=ε thus |3-3|<ε whenever 0<|0|<δ. Therefore, by the definition of a limit, lim 3 = 3 as x->6

Physics news on Phys.org
freezer said:

Homework Statement

lim 3 as x->6
lim -1 as x->2

Homework Equations

In the first weeks of a calculus class and doing these epsilon delta proofs.

As i am looking at two of the problems i have been assigned:

Lim 3 as x->6
Lim -1 as x->2

The Attempt at a Solution

considering both are horizontal lines, if i give some ε then there is no intersection with the function and thus no δ. ε must be > 0 so not sure how our proof statement will work:

Given ε>0, choose δ=ε. If 0<0<δ, then |0|<δ, then |3-3| = |0| < δ=ε thus |3-3|<ε whenever 0<|0|<δ. Therefore, by the definition of a limit, lim 3 = 3 as x->6
Hello freezer. Welcome to PF !

One comment first: For a constant function, you can pick anything for δ, often just choose δ = 1.

Now for your proof. What is the general ε - δ formulation for limx → a f(x) = L ?

For any ε > 0, there exists a δ such that for any x for which 0 < |x - a| < δ, then |f(x) - L| < ε .

You don't have any x the following statement of yours.
... If 0<0<δ, then |0|<δ, then |3-3| = |0| < δ ...​

1. What is a Epsilon Delta proof?

A Epsilon Delta proof, also known as an epsilon-delta argument, is a method used in calculus to prove the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, epsilon and delta, to show that for any given epsilon, there exists a delta that satisfies the conditions of the limit.

2. What is the significance of the limit in a Epsilon Delta proof?

The limit in an Epsilon Delta proof represents the value that the function approaches as the input approaches a certain point. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions at specific points.

3. How is a Epsilon Delta proof used to solve limits?

In a Epsilon Delta proof, we start by assuming that the limit exists and is equal to a given value. Then, we use the definition of the limit to find a relationship between epsilon and delta. We manipulate this relationship to find a suitable value of delta that satisfies the conditions of the limit.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a limit using Epsilon Delta proof?

For example, to solve the limit of the function f(x) = 2x+4 as x approaches 3, we start by assuming the limit exists and is equal to a value L. Then, we manipulate the definition of the limit to find a relationship between epsilon and delta: |2x+4 - L| < epsilon. By setting delta to be equal to epsilon/2, we can show that for any given epsilon, we can find a delta that satisfies the condition of the limit.

5. Why is the Epsilon Delta proof important in calculus?

The Epsilon Delta proof is important in calculus because it provides a rigorous and logical way to prove the existence and value of a limit. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions at specific points and is a fundamental tool used in many advanced calculus concepts and applications.