1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-Delta Proof

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For every ε> 0, there is a δ> 0 such that 1- δ< x <1 + implies 2- ε <7-5x <2 + ε

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My understanding of epsilon-delta proofs is very minimal at this point. Was hoping someone would be able to explain your thought process when attempting these kinds of proofs. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi dainty77! :smile:
    my thought process would be to attempt the simplest possible solution first …

ie try δ = kε first (for a constant k),

then δ = kε2, then δ = k√ε and so on :wink:

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would start with [itex]2- \epsilon< 7- 5x[/itex] and see that [itex]-5- \epsilon< -5x[/itex] so that [itex]x< 1+ \epsilon/5[/itex] and [itex]x- 1< \epsilon/5[/itex]. Then turn to [itex]7- 5x< 2+ \epsilon[/itex], so that [itex]-5x< -5+ \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]x> 1- \epsilon/5[/itex], [itex]x- 1> -\epsilon/5[/itex]. Now do you see what [itex]\delta[/itex] must be?

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
    I see where you are gettiing at! Let me work on it some more. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted