1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta proof

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    I have to prove the following:
    [tex]f:B_1 (0)\subset\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}\text { defined as }f(x)=\frac {1}{1-||x||}[/tex] prove that f is continuous and not bounded.
    I can see the geometrical explanation for this to happen, and i suppose i should prove the continuity using a delta-epsilon method, but i am stuck doing this.
    The delta-epsilon proof would go like this:
    [tex]\forall\epsilon>0,\exists\delta>0/ ||(x-x_0,y-y_0)||<\delta\rightarrow |{\frac {1}{1-||(x,y)||}-\frac {1}{1- ||(x_0,y_0)||}|<\epsilon[/tex]

note: [tex]B_1 (0)[/tex] means the ball of radius 1 centered at the origin, that is to say, all the points (x,y) such that ||(x,y)||<1.
    I know i am supposed to use this on the epsilon-delta proof, but even though i have no idea how to do it.

Any help i greatly appreciated.
    Thanks you, Paul.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One way to do this is to write x in polar coordinates. If x= (r, &theta;), then [tex]f(x)= \frac{1}{1-r} [/tex]. It should be easy to prove that that is continuous for r< 1 but not bounded (as r-> 1).
  4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

Great, now I think I understand how to prove it. Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards, Paul.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?