Proving Inverse Function Continuity at Limit Point Q

In summary, we are given a function f defined on a set S in ℝ^n and a limit point Q of S. The task is to prove, using first principles, that as P approaches Q, the value of 1/f(P) approaches 1/3. We can use the fact that |1/f(P) - 1/3| = |f(P) - 3| / |f(P)| as a helpful hint in solving this problem.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Suppose f is a function defined on a set ##S## in ##ℝ^n## and suppose ##Q## is a limit point of ##S##.

If ##f(P) → 3## as ##P → Q## prove from first principles that ##\frac{1}{f(P)} → \frac{1}{3}## as ##P → Q##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit rusty with these.

I know : ##\forall ε'>0, \exists δ'>0 \space | \space 0 < |P-Q| < δ' \Rightarrow |f(P) - 3| < ε'##

I want : ##\forall ε>0, \exists δ>0 \space | \space 0 < |P-Q| < δ \Rightarrow |1/f(P) - 1/3| < ε##

For some reason I'm blanking on what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI Zondrina! :smile:

Hint: |1/f(P) - 1/3| = |f(P) - 3| / |f(P)| :wink:

tiny-tim said:
HI Zondrina! :smile:

Hint: |1/f(P) - 1/3| = |f(P) - 3| / |f(P)| :wink:

Thanks tim, cleaned up nicely :)

What is the definition of a limit point Q?

A limit point Q is a point within a set of values where every neighborhood of Q contains at least one point from the set, excluding Q itself.

What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It takes the output of the original function as its input and produces the input of the original function as its output.

Why is it important to prove inverse function continuity at limit point Q?

Proving inverse function continuity at limit point Q is important because it ensures that the inverse function is well-defined at that point. This means that the inverse function will produce a unique and meaningful output for every input at the limit point Q.

How do you prove inverse function continuity at limit point Q?

To prove inverse function continuity at limit point Q, you must show that the inverse function is continuous at Q. This can be done by showing that the limit of the inverse function at Q exists and is equal to the inverse of the limit of the original function at Q.

What are some common methods for proving inverse function continuity at limit point Q?

Some common methods for proving inverse function continuity at limit point Q include using the definition of continuity, using the epsilon-delta limit definition, and using the intermediate value theorem.