Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence

In summary, to prove that the sequence (\frac{1}{1+n+n^4}) converges to 0, we can find a value of N that satisfies | \frac{1}{1+n+n^4} -0 | < \epsilon for any given \epsilon >0. By setting N = \frac{1}{\epsilon} -1, we can ensure that every term with n>N will be less than epsilon. Additionally, the n^4 term in the sequence will also help to tighten the constraints on N, as it converges to zero much quicker than the n
roam

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence [tex](\frac{1}{1+n+n^4})[/tex] converges to 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex], we can find [tex]n \geq N[/tex] such that:

[tex]| \frac{1}{1+n+n^4} -0 | = \frac{1}{1+n+n^4} < \frac{1}{1+n}< \epsilon[/tex]

Now what value of N should we take to complete the proof? And why?

This is what I guess:
We have [tex]\frac{1}{1+n}< \epsilon[/tex] so,

[tex]n+1> \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

[tex]n>\frac{1}{\epsilon} -1[/tex]

[tex]N = \frac{1}{\epsilon} -1[/tex]

Is this right? I appreciate it if anyone could provide me with some explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think that will work, in that for the N you give you know every term with n>N will be less than epsilon... however, i think you can put much tighter constraints on N using the n^4 part of the sequence.

1/n^4 goes to zero a lot quicker than 1/n. And for n>>1, n^4 + n + 1 looks more like n^4 than n

1. What is an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence"?

An "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence" is a mathematical proof used to show that a sequence of numbers or values converges to a specific limit or value. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence" different from other types of mathematical proofs?

An "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence" is unique in that it focuses on the concept of convergence, rather than proving a specific equation or statement. It involves choosing a specific value of epsilon (ε) and finding a corresponding value of n (the number of terms in the sequence) that satisfies the definition of convergence.

3. What is the purpose of using an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence"?

The purpose of using an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence" is to rigorously prove that a sequence of numbers or values will approach a specific limit or value. It is an important tool in mathematics and is used to verify the validity of many mathematical concepts and theories.

4. What are some common techniques used in an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence"?

Some common techniques used in an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence" include the use of the triangle inequality, the definition of convergence, and the use of algebraic manipulation to simplify the proof. It may also involve using previous theorems or properties to support the proof.

5. How can one ensure the accuracy and validity of an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence"?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of an "Epsilon-N Proof of Sequence", one must carefully follow the definition of convergence and the chosen value of epsilon. It is also important to double check all algebraic manipulations and use appropriate mathematical techniques to support the proof.