Epsom Salt Baths: My Experience Training for Soccer

• Medical
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, Epsom salts may help with muscle pain and soreness, but you will need to use more than what is provided in the box to achieve this. There is no scientific evidence that Epsom salts have any real healing properties.
I'm currently training hard for a top amateur soccer team in my area. After a few training sessions my muscles are destroyed. I have severe DOMS (delayed onset muscle syndome). I was reading some online material about Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and how they claim to relieve muscle pain and soreness via bath. I decided to buy some and soak for 30min with 3-4 cups of the salts in a standard bath tub. When I got out I didn't feel any different nor this morning or now. However there are thousands of claims that it works online. I came across one skeptic here: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/reality-checks/epsom-salts.php

Anyone try Epsom salts? Any opinions on this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Every once in a while, my wife will soak her feet in Epson salt and hot water. She claims it helps when her feet are aching, but we haven't done a blind test with just the water. Some of the claims of relief of muscle pain with an Epsom salt bath may actually be a result of the bath itself. A person does a lot of yardwork, etc and ends up aching and lame. They could take a shower to get cleaned up but they decide to take a nice hot bath with Epsom salts instead. Instead of a quick shower, rinse and dry, they take a nice long (to let the salts "work") relaxing bath. If you're a bit lame, that nice hot relaxing bath is going to make you feel a lot better than a quick shower. Unscientific as hell, but it's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

My tub is a bit deeper then most, and I also use 3 to 4 cups of magnesium sulfate in very VERY hot water. It does help me relax, and with that kind of relaxation, tight muscles and aches tend to fade. I love the float factor.
I use to live near a hot mineral springs and often went there. Magnesium sulfate baths are the closest thing I can find to that experience.
When I first read the link...I began to think the guy didn't know much about how chemicals can be adsorbed via the skin. Both magnesium and sulfates can cross the skin barrier very easily. I was glad to see he looked a little deeper into it. I am also unaware of any research showing that it may have any real healing properties.
Every living thing needs magnesium, so absorbing a little bit of it in your bath really can't harm you. On a side note, it was also one of my favorite things to play with in science class.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm currently training hard for a top amateur soccer team in my area. After a few training sessions my muscles are destroyed. I have severe DOMS (delayed onset muscle syndome). I was reading some online material about Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and how they claim to relieve muscle pain and soreness via bath. I decided to buy some and soak for 30min with 3-4 cups of the salts in a standard bath tub. When I got out I didn't feel any different nor this morning or now. However there are thousands of claims that it works online. I came across one skeptic here: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/reality-checks/epsom-salts.php

Anyone try Epsom salts? Any opinions on this?

Magnesium is an "osmotic sink"- it attracts water. That's also why "Milk of Magnesia" as well as Epsom salts are a good laxative.

You probably didn't use enough salts in your bath. Dump in 2x or 3x what the box says, and soak longer. I've soaked my feet in an Epsom salts bath and did get some acute relief- whether that's due to excess water being pulled out into the bath or magnesium diffusing in (I did have a pronounced taste in my mouth) and moving internal water stores around, I can't say.

I've never really been sure of whether there is any therapeutic effect of epsom salts in the bath. I wonder if it's more that it simply allows you to soak longer in the hot water, with the heat really being the key, while the salts balance the osmolarity of the bath so you don't "prune up." I've never tried epsom salts, so don't know if they help prevent that...those of you who have used them can probably report if you still prune up or not with them in the water. It really just might be the heat of the bathwater helping.

1. What is Epsom salt and how does it work for athletes?

Epsom salt, also known as magnesium sulfate, is a mineral compound that contains both magnesium and sulfate. When dissolved in warm water, it releases these minerals which can be absorbed through the skin. Magnesium is necessary for muscle and nerve function, while sulfate helps with detoxification and reducing inflammation. As athletes often have high physical demands on their bodies, Epsom salt baths can help replenish these essential minerals and aid in muscle recovery.

2. How often should athletes take Epsom salt baths while training for soccer?

The frequency of Epsom salt baths can vary depending on an individual's training schedule and personal preferences. Some athletes may take Epsom salt baths after every training session, while others may only do so once or twice a week. It is important to listen to your body and adjust accordingly. It is also recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating Epsom salt baths into your training routine.

3. Can Epsom salt baths improve athletic performance?

There is limited scientific evidence to support the claim that Epsom salt baths can directly improve athletic performance. However, as mentioned earlier, the minerals in Epsom salt can aid in muscle recovery, which can indirectly improve performance by reducing muscle soreness and fatigue. Additionally, the relaxation benefits of Epsom salt baths can help with stress and tension management, which can also impact athletic performance.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of taking Epsom salt baths?

Epsom salt baths are generally considered safe for most people, but there are some potential risks and side effects to be aware of. Some individuals may experience skin irritation or allergic reactions to Epsom salt. It is also important to not consume Epsom salt as it can cause digestive issues. Additionally, those with certain medical conditions or taking certain medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking Epsom salt baths.

5. Are there any other benefits of Epsom salt baths for athletes?

In addition to aiding in muscle recovery and potentially improving athletic performance, Epsom salt baths have a range of other benefits for athletes. These include reducing stress and promoting relaxation, improving sleep quality, and helping to alleviate symptoms of certain skin conditions. Epsom salt baths can also be a form of self-care and can be a relaxing and rejuvenating experience for athletes after a long training session or game.

Back