Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epson Photopaper Surface ?

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    What chemical or paint is on the surface of glossy or semi glossy photopaper that makes it absorb the ink so well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2008 #2
    What Makes Photo Paper Glossy?

Hi wondering what makes the surface of epson photo paper glossy?
    Would you know what paint or chemical they use for getting that surface?

Thanks a million Edward, can you buy that resin anywhere?

I can't find anywhere that would distribute either do you know anywhere?

Thanks for your help well appreciated

There are various resins and polymers used in the manufacturing of photo paper I don't know where to get them I would really appreciate some help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  4. Jun 22, 2008 #3
    There are various resins and polymers used in the manufacture of photo paper. Some companies outsource the paper production and then put their label on it.

http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/2004/november/paper.html

5. Jun 22, 2008 #4

I don't think so, although you might ask around at photo shops and art specialty stores. Plus there is a polymer coating over the resin that absorbs the ink. The resin keeps the ink from penetrating the paper.

It is usually made in large batches for industrial distribution.

Another link on photopapers.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP 7960/page_13.htm

There are resins available that allow one to cast a photo into them. If you ever want a photo permanetly cast to a piece of rock (or anything solid) that's the way to go.:smile:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
    Try contacting a printing company or paper maker.

7. Jun 22, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Paper is normally impregnated with calcium carbonate for overall brightness, and titanium dioxide for super-brightness and opacity. It is calendared for smoothness (pressing between hot smooth rolls at high pressure), and then it is coated for extra surface qualities. I was the lead operator on a paper machine that made high-density glossy papers that were used in Elle, Vogue and other fashion magazines that need perfect paper to drive ad revenue. Higher-quality publications relied on additional coatings, smooth surfacing, and hi-rez printing.

8. Jun 22, 2008 #7

No I don't, sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?