Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equal and opposite?

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

having a conversation with a lass who says that men peeing on the side of the toilet bowl results in spray coming up out of the bowl. I can imagine this beening the case if you pee straight into the water but if your stream hits the steep side of the bowl surely most errant drops will be sent downwars?

Cheers

Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

They should design them with one region specifically designed to contain the spray.

And then paint that region with a bulls-eye!

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What happens if somebody's not a crack shot?

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    This is due to Newton's Third Law of motion
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. ... , this was newton's third law of motion.

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Newton made laws about this too? He was so much ahead of his time.

7. Nov 12, 2007 #6
    Yes. he was a great scientist.

8. Nov 12, 2007 #7
    Hi, Steve

I believe the cause of the lass' complaint is sheer jealousy.

Enjoy your next pee in peace,

Zooby

9. Nov 12, 2007 #8
    I want to put a urinal in my house. I had a chance to buy an antique one--it was dated, I think 1907, weighted about 200-250 lbs, and about 5 ft tall --a little too much--I like antiques; but, too bad, that one was a hair too big.

___________-

I'm looking for an old one --like Duchamp entered in the 1913 Armory show? (the art period time that made the world aware of Cubism, Dadaism, and Futurism)

[​IMG]

I looked --he did this in 1917 not 1913

----------------------

"In December 2004, Duchamp's Fountain was voted the most influential artwork of the 20th century by 500 selected British artworld professionals"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  10. Nov 12, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never seen a toilet with a perfectly straight, uniform surface to be able to predict what direction anything would go if it hit that surface. Though, a stream of any liquid is also not going to all follow the same trajectory that a single ping-pong ball would follow, because the rest of the stream is in the way. Take a garden hose and aim it at an angled surface and you'll see all the water does not head in the same direction, it sprays in many directions.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I believe she's trying to inform you that you're splashing out of the toilet and you need to take your turn scrubbing. Afterall, when you're done, there's either something splashed out of the bowl or not, and this is not too hard to identify and clean if it's present. Keep a bowl brush and bottle of toilet cleaner next to the sink and give it a swish every few uses, and I bet she'll stop arguing with you about the trajectory of your urine stream. :wink:

11. Nov 12, 2007 #10
    I think you're right, MB----chaos theory with a splash of Jackson Pollack

12. Nov 12, 2007 #11

Evo

That would explain Jackson Pollock paintings. :yuck:

13. Nov 12, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Nov 12, 2007 #13

Dale

Hey Ivan,

That is exactly what I was talking about! I note that the fly is somewhat off-center.

15. Nov 12, 2007 #14
    I think that the fly is off-center so it does not look like a complete setup.

16. Nov 12, 2007 #15
    i pee on the side so that it rebounds into the urinal.

early on in my life i discovered that when i peed in a urinal my pants would be covered in urine. this made me wary of peeing in urinals. then i took physics, discovered conservation of momentum and solved my problem.

17. Nov 12, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: I don't really want Jackson Pollock's splashes if that's what they are! :bugeye: :yuck:

Maybe the fly is off center to take into account the average guy's ability to aim. :biggrin: :devil:

18. Nov 12, 2007 #17
    all we (men) need now is, that if we keep the stream on the fly, a balloon in the room inflates and --the first one that gets the balloon to pop, wins the prize

19. Nov 12, 2007 #18
    :rofl: XD

20. Nov 13, 2007 #19

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Toilet bowls and urinals are different objects, and need separate treatments. Sadly, I don't know if any such Unified Theory exists.

This seems have opened a floodgate, or rather a peegate, of imagination.

21. Nov 13, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The unified solution requires the use of a pee-brane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?