1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equal areas in equal times

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1
    Hi, can someone help me do the following question? (I've cut out some details, leaving the results which might be of help)

Let the vector r represent the displacement from the origin to a moving particle of mass m which is subjected to a force F.

Results which I've been able to arrive at:

[tex]
    \mathop H\limits^ \to = \mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop p\limits^ \to \Rightarrow \frac{{d\mathop H\limits^ \to }}{{dt}} = m\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {\mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop v\limits^ \to } \right) = \mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop F\limits^ \to = \mathop M\limits^ \to
    [/tex]

v is velocity, F is force, p = mv is moment.

If F acts towards the origin then [itex]\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {\mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop v\limits^ \to } \right) = \mathop 0\limits^ \to [/itex].

Now here is what I am having trouble with.

Show that [itex]\left\| {\mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop v\limits^ \to } \right\|[/itex] is twice the rate at which the area A is swept out by the vector r, that is,

[tex]
    \left\| {\mathop r\limits^ \to \times \mathop v\limits^ \to } \right\| = 2\frac{{dA}}{{dt}} = r^2 \frac{{d\theta }}{{dt}}
    [/tex]

and hence deduce that, when a mass is subject to a central force directed towards the origin, the vector displacement r moves in a plane and sweeps out equal areas in equal times.

I don't know where to start. I can't visualise what is going on in this problem. Norm of r cross v is the area of a parallelogram...ok...but that doesn't tell me much. As for r, it is arbitrary so I can't try to make a picture. I just don't know what to do here. Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equality between the first and the 3-rd part is obvious, however, it would help if you knew the exact expression for A...

Daniel.

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your input but like I said, the main thing which is preventing me from being able to make any significant progress in this question is that I simply cannot picture what is going on.

Going back to basics I would consider an xyz coordinate system and a curve traced out by a position vector r, tail at the origin and head moving along a curve. I think that the area being referred to in the question is the area 'bounded' below by the position vector and above by the curve. Something like that. But I really can't think of a way to approach this problem.

Oh and p = mv is supposed to be momentum. I typed it as moment.

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you have the answer right there?

As you said: [itex]\frac{1}{2}||\vec r \times \vec v ||=\frac{d A}{dt}[/itex] is the rate at which the area is swept out.

You also know that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(\vec r \times \vec v)[/itex] is constant (conservation of angular momentum). So the rate at which the area is swept out is constant. It's staring you in the face.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?