1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equal tangent lines

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    If the tangent line to y = f (x) at x = a is the same as the tangent line to y = g(x) at x = b, find two equations that must be satisfied by a and b.

I don't understand how to go about this problem. I tried putting the equations of the tangent lines together using the variables in the problem but i don't know what to do with my results. This is all the info i have. Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    Why don't you try showing us what you have so far? That usually gets more of a response.
  4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
    Something I tried

-tangent line equations
    y-f(x) = f '(x)(x-a) y-g(x) = g '(x)(x-b)
    y = f(x)+f '(x)(x-a) y = g(x)+g '(x)(x-b)

-set them equal to each other

f(x)+f '(x)(x-a) = g(x)+g '(x)(x-b)

-distributed and simplified

f '(x)*x -g '(x)*x = g(x)-g '(x)*b-f(x)+f '(x)*a

-solved for x

x = [g(x)-g '(x)*b-f(x)+f '(x)*a]/[f '(x)-g '(x)]

- I'm really not sure if i can do anything with this but i did it anyway.
    - i also tried trial and error with random functions as a last ditch kinda effort but that gave me pretty much the same results.
  5. Feb 5, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You haven't "solved for x" because you still have "x" inside each function! I have no idea why you want to "solve for x" because x is a variable, not a particular number. The problem asked you to "find two equations that must be satisfied by a and b."

No, those are not correct. In order that they be lines, the only "x" must be the x in (x-a) and (x- b). You evaluate the function and its derivative at a and b:
    y- f(a)= f'(a)(x- a) and y- g(a)= g'(a)(x- a) so y= f(a)+ f'(a)(x-a) and y= g(b)+ g'(b)(x- b).

Saying that the two lines are the same means f(a)+ f'(a)(x- a)= g(b)+ g'(b)(x- b) for all x. That, in turn, means that the coefficient of x and the constant term must be the same on both sides. Those are your "two equations".
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5
    thanks I'll try that and see what my professor says
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?