Proving Equality Between Sequences Using Induction

• Thread starter nuuskur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, using the formula for the sum of a binomial series, it can be shown that the sum of alternating binomial coefficients with fractions as coefficients is equal to the sum of fractions from 1 to n. This can be proven through induction. Additionally, there is a related formula that shows the value of this sum in terms of the parity of n.
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(-1)^{k-1}}{k} \binom{n}{k} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + ... + \frac{1}{n-1} + \frac{1}{n} = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Writing out few of the summands:
[tex]\frac{n!}{1\cdot 1!(n-1)!} - \frac{n!}{2\cdot 2!(n-2)!} + \frac{n!}{3\cdot 3!(n-3)!} - \frac{n!}{4\cdot 4!(n-4)!} +...\\
n!(\frac{1}{1\cdot 1!(n-1)!}-\frac{1}{2\cdot 2!(n-2)!}+\frac{1}{3\cdot 3!(n-3)!}-\frac{1}{4\cdot 4!(n-4)!} + ...)[/tex]
if this really adds up the way it's going to, I would somehow have to show that what is between the parenthesis adds up to [itex]\frac{1}{k\cdot n!}[/itex]then [itex]n!\cdot \frac{1}{k\cdot n!}[/itex] would be 1/k: what I am looking for.
How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is the related formula
$$\sum_{k=0}^n \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k} \binom{n}{k} = \begin{cases}
\frac{1}{n}, & \text{n odd}\\
1-\frac{1}{n},& \text{n even} \end{cases}$$
I wonder if you could prove both via induction (that's how I got that formula, using the result you want to show).

1. What is equality between sequences?

Equality between sequences refers to the comparison of two or more sequences of characters or elements to determine if they are identical or have the same elements in the same order.

2. How is equality between sequences determined?

Equality between sequences is typically determined by comparing each element in the sequences to see if they are the same. This can be done using a loop or built-in comparison functions depending on the programming language.

3. Can sequences of different lengths be considered equal?

No, sequences of different lengths cannot be considered equal. They must have the same number of elements in the same order to be considered equal.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when checking for equality between sequences?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. For example, some programming languages may have different ways of handling case sensitivity when comparing characters. It is also important to consider the data types of the elements in the sequences to ensure accurate comparison.

5. What are some common methods for checking equality between sequences?

Some common methods for checking equality between sequences include using built-in comparison functions, implementing a loop to compare each element, and using libraries or modules specifically designed for sequence comparison.