Understanding a Complex Math Equality: Cosine and Cubic Functions Explained

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary: You mean 4\left(cos(z/3)\right)^3-3\left(cos(z/3)\right)-cos(z)=0, which is true …just expand cos(z/3 + 2z/3). :wink:But z=cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)and cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)=4y^3-3y where y=cos\left(\frac{1}{3}arccos(z)\right)
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I found this equality in the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=407130"
[tex]
cos\left(\frac{1}{3}arccos(z)\right) = \frac{\left(z + \sqrt{z^2-1}\right)^{1/3}}{2} + \frac 1 {2\left(z+\sqrt{z^2-1}\right)^{1/3}}
[/tex]
and I'd like to know how it works.

Note: I haven't studied this, but I do know about complex numbers and I got some hints from that thread on what to do.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I assumed it was true.

For the left side of the equality, let [tex]y=cos\left(\frac{1}{3}arccos(z)\right)[/tex]

so [tex]z=cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)[/tex]

by trig identities, [tex]cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)=4y^3-3y[/tex]

So the solutions to [tex]y=cos\left(\frac{1}{3}arccos(z)\right)[/tex] are the solutions (not exactly sure which of the 3) to the cubic [tex]4y^3-3y-z=0[/tex]

and now taking the right side, [tex]y=\frac{\left(z + \sqrt{z^2-1}\right)^{1/3}}{2} + \frac 1 {2\left(z+\sqrt{z^2-1}\right)^{1/3}} [/tex]

[tex]z+\sqrt{z^2-1}=cos(z)+isin(z)[/tex]

simplifying this gives [tex]y=cos(z/3)[/tex]

So hence for this equality to be true, [tex]4\left(cos(z/3)\right)^3-3\left(cos(z/3)\right)-z=0[/tex] for all z, but this isn't the case.

Please help me understand this more :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mentallic! :smile:
Mentallic said:
So hence for this equality to be true, [tex]4\left(cos(z/3)\right)^3-3\left(cos(z/3)\right)-z=0[/tex] for all z, but this isn't the case.

You mean [itex]4\left(cos(z/3)\right)^3-3\left(cos(z/3)\right)-cos(z)=0[/itex], which is true …

just expand cos(z/3 + 2z/3). :wink:

But [tex]z=cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)[/tex]

and [tex]cos\left(3arccos(y)\right)=4y^3-3y[/tex] where [tex]y=cos\left(\frac{1}{3}arccos(z)\right)[/tex]

So shouldn't it then be [tex]4y^3-3y=z[/tex] ?

Yeah if I change it to cos(z) it works, but I still don't see where I've gone wrong.

You're interchangeably using z as an angle and as a cosine.

In particular, your …
Mentallic said:
[tex]z+\sqrt{z^2-1}=cos(z)+isin(z)[/tex]

isn't true. :wink:

(unless cosz = z)

Oh of course... :blushing:

1. What is an "Equality math problem"?

An "Equality math problem" is a type of math problem that involves finding the value of an unknown variable that makes an equation true. It is called an "equality" problem because the equation must represent equality, meaning that both sides of the equation are equal.

2. How do I solve an Equality math problem?

To solve an Equality math problem, you need to use basic algebraic principles. Start by simplifying the equation as much as possible by combining like terms and using inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, solve for the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation until you have the variable alone on one side.

3. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving Equality math problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving Equality math problems include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, making arithmetic errors, and incorrectly applying the order of operations. It is also important to double check your solution and make sure it makes the equation true.

4. Can an Equality math problem have more than one solution?

Yes, an Equality math problem can have more than one solution. This typically occurs when there are multiple ways to simplify the equation or when the variable can have more than one value that makes the equation true. In these cases, it is important to check all possible solutions to ensure they are all valid.

5. How can I use Equality math problems in real life?

Equality math problems are used in various fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to solve for unknown variables in equations. They are also commonly used in finance and economics to calculate interest rates, loan payments, and other financial equations. In everyday life, Equality math problems can be used to solve for quantities in recipes, measurements, and budgeting.