1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equality of functions

1. Jun 8, 2005 #1

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i should approach this problem:

Let f:R->R^3 be a differentiable, vector-valued function and g:R->R be a strictly increasing vector-valued function. Let h = fog:R->R^3. Show that the paths traced by f and h are equal and that h'(t) = f'(g(t))g'(t). h is called the reparameterization of f by g.

i have no idea where to start. i'm not sure how to put the info given in the question to use, to prove that f and h are equal, especially since it doesn't state the equations for f and g. any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not what the problem asks you to prove...
  4. Jun 9, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not real fresh on this stuff, but it seems odd to me that g is being defined as a "vector function" in a 1-dimensional space, rather than calling it a scaler. In any case, it appears to me that as a starting point in a spatial representation you can write

[tex] \vec f = f_x (x,y,x)\widehat i + f_y (x,y,x)\widehat j + f_z (x,y,x)\widehat k [/tex]

[tex] \vec g = g(t)\widehat u [/tex]

[tex] \vec h (t) = f_x \left[ x \circ g(t),y \circ g(t),x \circ g(t) \right] \widehat i + f_y \left[ x \circ g(t),y \circ g(t),x \circ g(t) \right] \widehat j + f_z \left[ x \circ g(t),y \circ g(t),x \circ g(t) \right] \widehat k [/tex]

or something analogous in another representation in [tex]\Re ^3 [/tex].
  5. Jun 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This doesn't seem to make any sense. Choose g = exp. Then h(R) need not be equal to f(R) so whatever "the path traced" means, I don't think the two can be equal. As for the other part, it's just the Chain Rule. If you only know the Chain Rule for "1-dimensional" functions, you can still use that rule to prove this more general case.
  6. Jun 9, 2005 #5
    an additional peice of info in the question, which i forgot to type, is:
    g is onto - that is, for every y in R, there is an x such that g(x) = y.

anyway, i tried reparameterizing according to arclength. let s1, s2, s3 = arclength of f, g, and h.
    functions are f = f(t), and g = g(b).

s1(t) = [integral]|f'(u)| du
    ds1/dt = |f'(t)|

s2(b) = [integral]|g'(u)|du
    ds2/db = |g'(b)|

s3(b) = [integral]|f'(u)|du
    s3/db = |f'(g(b))|
    = |f'(g(b))*g'(b)|

i don't know where to go from here. i don't even know if i started off correctly. how do i put all that together to show that the path traced by f = path traced by h? any help would be appreciated.
  7. Jun 10, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps there is some basic property of the function f that is being overlooked. What does f:R->R^3 tell you about the funtion f?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?