Equality of Series Homework: Find bs Values

• Thread starter baby_1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: What is 'm'? Your original post had no 'm' in it anywhere. It did have an 's', though, and the issue is about the range of 's'. If that range is infinite (either one-way or two-way) the right-hand-side in your original equation is a divergent infinite series. So, I am not sure your question makes any mathematical sense.However Baby1 if s is taking values in bounded integer sets of the form (-k,-k+1,...,-1,0,1,...,k-1,k) the solution can be ##b_s=\frac{I\omega\epsilon\pi}{2(\pi-\alpha)}##
baby_1

Homework Statement

Here is my equation that I want to find bs values
9595352200_1464358764.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I convert sin to cos.
3790159100_1464358842.png

for bs at s=0 I get
1047470800_1464348618.png

and if s is not zero I can't derive a clear answer for bs.

but in electronic engineer book that I read it wrote
7779146900_1464348841.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice will be to use the trigonometric identities ##sin(A)sin(B)=\frac{1}{2}(cos(A-B)-cos(A+B))## and ##cos(A)cos(B)=\frac{1}{2}(cos(A-B)+cos(A+B)## for ##A=B=s(\phi-\alpha)##.

Thank you for your best suggestion
I did it for both side so I have
2729523900_1464359418.png

but it doesn't the same or I can't derive book answer , what is my mistake?

Ok sorry my suggestion doesn't seem to work, more specifically when you move from line 1 to line 2 and 3 of your last post, that is sufficient but not necessary . Try instead to transfer everything to one side and use the identity ##CcosAcosB-CsinAsinB=Ccos(A+B)##Sorry this doesn't seem to work either, I am all out of ideas for now.

Cant think of anything else than to expand any term of the form ##sin(s(\phi-\alpha))=sin(s\phi)cos(s\alpha)-sin(s\alpha)cos(s\phi)## and similar for cosines and see if you can get anything in the end.​

Last edited:
baby_1 said:

Homework Statement

Here is my equation that I want to find bs values
9595352200_1464358764.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I convert sin to cos.
3790159100_1464358842.png

for bs at s=0 I get
1047470800_1464348618.png

and if s is not zero I can't derive a clear answer for bs.

but in electronic engineer book that I read it wrote
7779146900_1464348841.png

You need to tell us if the summation index ##s## goes over ##0,1,2, \ldots## or over ##\ldots -2, -1,0,1,2, \ldots## That can make a real difference.

Likes Delta2
Well seems to me the only way to make it work is s to take values in the whole integer set from negative to positive. Then what he did in post #3 is pretty much valid with some additional correction and justification regarding line 3 and 5 of post #3.

Delta² said:
Well seems to me the only way to make it work is s to take values in the whole integer set from negative to positive. Then what he did in post #3 is pretty much valid with some additional correction and justification regarding line 3 and 5 of post #3.

I was hoping to hear from the OP himself/herself.

Likes SammyS
Ray Vickson said:
I was hoping to hear from the OP himself/herself.

Well this thing puzzled me also, I thought my first suggestion should work because is the only straightforward way to transform different products (product of cosines and product of sines) to a sum of the same things. I don't know maybe I am still wrong and the solution is totally different, but seems to me its working (with some corrections) for s through all integers.

Thanks for you response.
m should be positive and m=0,1,2,3,...

baby_1 said:
Thanks for you response.
Ray's question regarding indices was in regards to s, not m .

Last edited:
baby_1 said:
Thanks for you response.

What is 'm'? Your original post had no 'm' in it anywhere. It did have an 's', though, and the issue is about the range of 's'. If that range is infinite (either one-way or two-way) the right-hand-side in your original equation is a divergent infinite series. So, I am not sure your question makes any mathematical sense.

However Baby1 if s is taking values in bounded integer sets of the form (-k,-k+1,...,-1,0,1,...,k-1,k) the solution can be ##b_s=\frac{I\omega\epsilon\pi}{2(\pi-\alpha)}## and satisfies both line 2 and line 3 of your post #3. For line 2 is obvious for line 3 you have to find out as I am sure you will .

Last edited:
Likes baby_1

1. What is the purpose of finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework"?

The purpose of finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework" is to determine the equality of two series by comparing their respective coefficients. The bs values represent the coefficients of the series and can be used to determine if two series are equal.

2. How do you find the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework"?

The bs values in "Equality of Series Homework" can be found by solving the equations of the given series. This involves rearranging the equations to isolate the coefficients and then comparing them to determine if they are equal.

3. What is the significance of finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework"?

Finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework" is significant because it allows us to determine if two series are equal or not. This is important in various mathematical and scientific applications where determining the equality of two series is necessary.

4. Can the bs values be negative in "Equality of Series Homework"?

Yes, the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework" can be negative. The sign of the bs values does not affect the equality of the series, as long as they are equal in magnitude.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework"?

There are no shortcuts or tricks for finding the bs values in "Equality of Series Homework". The process involves solving the equations and comparing the coefficients, which requires a good understanding of algebra and mathematical concepts. However, practicing regularly and being familiar with different types of series can make the process easier and more efficient.