What are the concentrations of NO2 and N2O4 in an equilibrium reaction?

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is discussing a chemical reaction with the equation 2 NO_{2} \leftrightharpoons N_{2} O_{4} and the total number of moles and concentration of the substances involved. The individual is trying to calculate the concentration of both NO_2 and N_{2} O_{4} by using the equation K_{c} = \frac{[N_2 O_4]}{[NO_2]^2}. They suggest assuming that the total moles are 3x, with NO_2 being 2x and N_{2} O_{4} being x, and then using this information to calculate the concentrations.
Mathman23
Hi I have simplified my last question in the hope of that someone, can help med answer it.

The following equality reaction:

[itex]2 NO_{2} \leftrightharpoons N_{2} O_{4}[/itex]

Where the total number of mole's of the two substances in equilibrium is
2,6 x 10^2 mol.

The reaction takes place in a container with a volume of 0,50 Liters.

This means that the total concentration of the two substances are
0,052 mol/liter.

I need to calculate the concentration of both [itex] [NO_2] [/itex] and
[itex] [N_{2} O_{4}] [/itex]

2 NO_2 <----> N_2 O_4
------------------------------
int | 0,052 + x | 0,052 + x
change | x | x
equi | 0,052 + x - (2x) | 0,052 + x - (2x)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Okay, let me say that the total moles are 3x, and [itex]NO_2[/itex] is 2x while [itex]N_2O_4[/itex] is x, which is equal to 8,67.10-3 moles.

There you can do the calculation to find the corresponding concentrations of the gases in 0.50 liters of a container.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank You for Your answer.

My assumption is accurate then ?

[itex]K_{c} = \frac{[N_2 O_4]}{[NO_2]^2} = \frac{(0.052 + x - (2x))}{(0.052 +x - (2x))^2} = ?[/itex]

Sincerely
Fred

chem_tr said:
Okay, let me say that the total moles are 3x, and [itex]NO_2[/itex] is 2x while [itex]N_2O_4[/itex] is x, which is equal to 8,67.10-3 moles.

There you can do the calculation to find the corresponding concentrations of the gases in 0.50 liters of a container.

1. What is an equality reaction?

An equality reaction is a chemical reaction in which the number and type of atoms on both sides of the reaction are equal, indicating that the reaction is balanced.

2. How is an equality reaction different from an inequality reaction?

An equality reaction is balanced, meaning that the number and type of atoms on both sides are equal. In contrast, an inequality reaction is unbalanced, with an unequal number or type of atoms on either side of the reaction.

3. What are the key components of an equality reaction?

The key components of an equality reaction are the reactants, products, and balanced chemical equation. The reactants are the substances that undergo a chemical change, while the products are the new substances formed as a result of the reaction. The balanced chemical equation shows the relationship between the reactants and products and ensures that the number of atoms is equal on both sides.

4. Why is it important for a reaction to be equal?

An equal reaction is important because it indicates that the reaction is balanced and that the law of conservation of mass is being followed. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, meaning that the number of atoms on both sides of the reaction must be equal.

5. How can you tell if a reaction is equal?

A reaction can be determined to be equal by writing out the chemical equation and checking to see if the number of atoms on both sides is the same. If they are equal, then the reaction is balanced. Additionally, the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) should be the smallest whole numbers possible.