Working on a dossier project for my Java class

• Thread starter mtully
  • Start date
In summary, to determine the phase of the moon or the coordinates of planets on a given date, time, and location, you can purchase the American Ephemeris and Nautical Almanac from the Superintendent of Documents, or use the RedShift 2 CD-ROM from Expert Software. These resources will provide the positions of the sun, moon, planets, and stars, but for equations, you can refer to books such as Practical Astronomy with your Calculator, Practical Astronomy with your Personal Computer, Astronomical Algorithms, and Spherical Astronomy.
mtully
equasions (help!)

I am currentally working on a dossier project for my Java class and wanted to know if anyone knows if there are certain equations for the following:

1) Phase of the moon given the date
2) Cordinates of planets given date, time, and longitude/latitude

Any

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The American Ephemeris and Nautical Almanac can be purchased from:

THE SUPERINTENDENT OF DOCUMENTS
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20402

You must specify the year you want.

Expert Software has a CD-ROM called RedShift 2.

You won't find any equations from either of these, but they will tell you the positions of the sun, moon, planets and stars.
I hope this helps. -Mike

A little late, but there are some books you might want to check out to assist with this sort of stuff:

Practical Astronomy with your Calculator, Peter Duffett-Smith (Cambridge University Press).

Practical Astronomy with your Personal Computer, Peter Duffett-Smith (Cambridge University Press).

Astronomical Algorithms, Jean Meeus (Willmann-Bell).

Spherical Astronomy, Robin M. Green (Cambridge University Press).

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically consists of variables, numbers, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

2. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign and perform the same operations on both sides of the equation to maintain its balance. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value by following the order of operations.

3. What are the different types of equations?

There are various types of equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, logarithmic equations, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods for solving.

4. How can I check my solution to an equation?

You can check your solution to an equation by substituting the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies the equation. This means that both sides of the equation should be equal when the value is plugged in.

5. Can equations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating distances, determining the amount of money earned or spent, predicting population growth, and many more. Equations are essential in solving problems in various fields, including science, engineering, and economics.