1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equating Complex Numbers

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    Hi,

We know that if we have two complex numbers in polar format (i.e., magnitude and exponential), that for two complex vectors

z1 = A*exp(iB)
    z2 = C*exp(iD)

If z1 and z2 are equal, then A = C and B = D. However, this is assuming these values are all real. What if they are complex? I.e. can we say if we have two complex numbers

z3 = (a+ib)*exp(c+id)
    z4 = (e+if)*exp(g+ih)

If z3 and z4 are equal, can we say that (a+ib) = (e+if) and (c+id) = (g+ih)?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    Not quite true. B and D must differ by an integer multiple of 2pi. You'll need to take that into account when working out the rest of this.

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    Thanks for pointing this out, SteveL27, I should have said B = D +/- n*2*π, where n is any integer.

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can have A = -C, if B and D are different by an odd multiple of π

It should be easy to see why that is false. For example take
    a = 1, b = c = d = 0, e = 0, f = 1, and find g and h to make z3 = z4.

If you convert z3 = x3 + i y3 and z3 = x4 + i y4, you only have 2 equations (x3 = x4 and y3 = y4) but 8 unknowns (a through h). You need 6 more equations before you can hope there is a unique solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook