• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

He defines

[tex] U(1 + \delta \omega) \approx 1 + \frac{i}{2} \delta \omega_{\mu \nu} M^{\mu \nu} [/tex]

Then he considers

[tex] U(\Lambda^{-1} \Lambda' \Lambda) [/tex]

with [itex] \Lambda' = 1 + \delta \omega' [/itex]
He then says that

[tex] U(\Lambda^{-1} \Lambda' \Lambda) \approx \delta \omega_{\mu \nu} \Lambda^{\mu}_{\, \, \rho} \Lambda^{\nu}_{\, \, \sigma} M^{\rho \sigma} [/tex]

I don't see why this is true. (by the way, I assume the [itex] \omega [/itex] is actually meant to be [itex] \omega'[/itex] ). I don't see how the [itex] \Lambda^{-1} \Lambda [/itex] turned into the expression on the right.

thanks

Answers and Replies

StatusX
Homework Helper
We have:

[tex] \Lambda^{-1} \Lambda' \Lambda = {(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu}_\nu {\Lambda'^\nu}_\rho {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma [/tex]

Now, from 2.5 we know [itex]{(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu}_\nu = {\Lambda_\nu}^{\mu} [/itex], so this becomes (expanding [itex]\Lambda'[/itex]):

[tex] = {\Lambda_\nu}^\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma \left( {\delta^\nu}_\rho + {\delta \omega^\nu}_\rho \right) [/tex]

So that the linear term is (with both indices down):

[tex] {\Lambda^\nu}_\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma \delta \omega_{\nu\rho} [/tex]

Plugging in to 2.12 gives your answer.

Last edited:
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
We have:

[tex] \Lambda^{-1} \Lambda' \Lambda = {(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu}_\nu {\Lambda'^\nu}_\rho {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma [/tex]

Now, from 2.5 we know [itex]{(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu}_\nu = {\Lambda_\nu}^{\mu} [/itex], so this becomes (expanding [itex]\Lambda'[/itex]):

[tex] = {\Lambda_\nu}^\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma \left( {\delta^\nu}_\rho + {\delta \omega^\nu}_\rho \right) [/tex]

So that the linear term is (with both indices down):

[tex] {\Lambda^\nu}_\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma \delta \omega_{\nu\rho} [/tex]

Plugging in to 2.12 gives your answer.
Thank you very much StatusX for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Makes perfect sense !!!

Thanks again for your help

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
how is

[tex]
{\Lambda_\nu}^\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma {\delta \omega^\nu}_\rho
[/tex] equal to [tex]
{\Lambda^\nu}_\mu {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma \delta \omega_{\nu\rho}
[/tex] ?

The index structure inside the U should be [tex]{}^a{}_b[/tex] and outside U nothing (full contracted), so what we can write [tex]
[/tex] equal to as is:
[tex]\Lambda^{\nu \mu}{\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma {\delta \omega _\nu}_\rho [/tex] and then what? how can one conclude that the linear term with "both indices down" is [tex]
[/tex] ?

Last edited:
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I mean, is it an "argument by analogy" or is there a more profound way to find these things out?

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
how is

[tex]
[/tex] equal to [tex]
[/tex] ?
It isn't. Let's write [itex]\Lambda^{-1}\Lambda'\Lambda=\Lambda''[/itex]. You're trying to find the first order term of [itex]U(\Lambda'')=U(1+\delta\omega'')=I+\frac i 2 \delta\omega''_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}[/itex].

You already know that [itex](\delta\omega'')^\mu{}_\sigma=\Lambda_\nu{}^\mu\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\delta\omega^\nu{}_\rho[/itex]. That implies that [itex](\delta\omega'')_\mu{}_\sigma=\Lambda_\nu{}_\mu\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\delta\omega^\nu{}_\rho=\Lambda^\nu{}_\mu\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma\delta\omega_\nu{}_\rho[/itex].

Last edited:
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Everything is OK.

[tex]U \left( \Lambda^{-1} \Lambda ' \Lambda \right) = U \left( 1 + \delta \Omega \right) = 1 + \frac{i}{2 \hbar} \delta \Omega_{\mu \nu} M^{\mu \nu},[/tex]

where

[tex]\delta \Omega = \Lambda^{-1} \delta \omega \Lambda.[/tex]

Consequently,

[tex]{\delta \Omega^\mu}_\sigma = {\Lambda_\nu}^\mu \delta {\omega^\nu}_\rho {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma[/tex]

and

[tex]\delta \Omega_{\mu \sigma} = {\Lambda^\nu}_\mu \delta \omega_{\nu \rho} {\Lambda^\rho}_\sigma .[/tex]

I hope I haven't screwed up the indicies too much.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thanx Fredrik and George, I had those two things in mind, you confirmed them :-)