1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Book

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    Hello,

Is there a universal book of equation out there? -A book with a wide range of topics, from simple motion to complex electronics, that has equations that may be of practical(or not so practical) purpose. Perhaps this is more of a physics book I am looking for, but I thought the engineers would know first.

Thanks,

-R

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know how such a list of formulas would actually be useful to anyone, so no, I don't think such a book exists.

After all, it's the concepts that carry meaning in the sciences. You can write an infinite number of equations about even a single concept, all slightly different from one another yet all representing the same concept. Equations are nothing more than specific examples of more general concepts.

- Warren

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Mark's Handbook of Mechanical Engineering is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Also, if you are looking for just equations written on a piece of paper, you may want to check out the reference guide to the EIT test. I believe I posted a link to it in one of the engineering stickys. I'll have to find the link...

EDIT: http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/

5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd second Mark's; I wasn't even aware of it until Fred posted that link the first time round and it's been rather useful ever since!

I've got a nice book by James Carvill, published by Elsevier; "Mechanical Engineer's Data Handbook" which has all the basics in it (strength of materials, mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids, manufacturing, measurements etc), and then a pocket-sized Engineer's Data Book by Clifford Matthers, published by Professional Engineering. Useful one to have in a top drawer.

6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with just listing equations is it is difficult to know how they are applied without some context.

I would recommend a reference handbook, such as an "Engineer-in-Training Reference Manual" or the "FE Review Manual" by Lindeburg (published by Professional Publications Inc.). They cover a wide range of topics with explanations, example problems, AND equations. A little expensive, but well worth the $$$. Another excellent book is "Roarke's Formulas for Stress and Strain", mainly for mechanical engineers.

You won't be able to find a book that covers ALL topics, but you might be able to find a few books similar to this for other disciplines (the ones I mentioned are geared toward ME/AE/CE mainly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?