Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Book

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1

Is there a universal book of equation out there? -A book with a wide range of topics, from simple motion to complex electronics, that has equations that may be of practical(or not so practical) purpose. Perhaps this is more of a physics book I am looking for, but I thought the engineers would know first.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know how such a list of formulas would actually be useful to anyone, so no, I don't think such a book exists.

After all, it's the concepts that carry meaning in the sciences. You can write an infinite number of equations about even a single concept, all slightly different from one another yet all representing the same concept. Equations are nothing more than specific examples of more general concepts.

- Warren
  4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

Mark's Handbook of Mechanical Engineering is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Also, if you are looking for just equations written on a piece of paper, you may want to check out the reference guide to the EIT test. I believe I posted a link to it in one of the engineering stickys. I'll have to find the link...

EDIT: http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/
  5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd second Mark's; I wasn't even aware of it until Fred posted that link the first time round and it's been rather useful ever since!

I've got a nice book by James Carvill, published by Elsevier; "Mechanical Engineer's Data Handbook" which has all the basics in it (strength of materials, mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids, manufacturing, measurements etc), and then a pocket-sized Engineer's Data Book by Clifford Matthers, published by Professional Engineering. Useful one to have in a top drawer.
  6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem with just listing equations is it is difficult to know how they are applied without some context.

I would recommend a reference handbook, such as an "Engineer-in-Training Reference Manual" or the "FE Review Manual" by Lindeburg (published by Professional Publications Inc.). They cover a wide range of topics with explanations, example problems, AND equations. A little expensive, but well worth the $$$. Another excellent book is "Roarke's Formulas for Stress and Strain", mainly for mechanical engineers.

You won't be able to find a book that covers ALL topics, but you might be able to find a few books similar to this for other disciplines (the ones I mentioned are geared toward ME/AE/CE mainly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?