How can I solve this equation?

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves solving a complex equation with a variable x and numbers involving the square root of 2. It is suggested to first solve the equation in a general form before substituting the specific numbers.
devanlevin
how do i solve this equatio?
[(√2) +1]²¹=[(√2)-1]*[3+2(√2)]˟ˉ¹

(√2) is sqare root of 2

hhow do i find x?

how can i divide [(√2) +1]²¹ by =[(√2)-1]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see x in your equation.

devanlevin said:
how do i solve this equatio?
[(√2) +1]²¹=[(√2)-1]*[3+2(√2)]˟ˉ¹

(√2) is sqare root of 2

hhow do i find x?

how can i divide [(√2) +1]²¹ by =[(√2)-1]

theres your x Borek.

Perhaps I am missing something, or it is just my computer glitch, but I have no idea where and what the unknown is and I can't see it with this formatting neither in Opera nor in IE. I see either some square or nothing on the right - but even after checking its code (#735) I am not wiser, as by name that's "swedish grave accent"...

Is it shaped as x? Is this the equation?

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = \frac {(\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2)} {x}[/tex]

I'm confused as well. It appears that the x is located as an exponent of [3 + 2*sqrt(2)], more like:

[3 + 2*sqrt(2)]^(x-1)

Last edited:
Something like

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = (\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2) ^{x-1}[/tex]

Borek said:
Something like

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = (\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2) ^{x-1}[/tex]

Yeah like that.

Sorry about what I posted earlier, I changed it since I accidently put -x instead of x-1 :smile:

exactly that, x-1 is the exponent

So your problem is simply to solve a= bcx-1 where a, b, c are numbers?

Surely you see that cx-1= (a/b). Now take the logarithm of both sides.

First , you can write
[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}=\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{(\sqrt{2}+1)(\sqrt{2}-1)}=\sqrt{2}+1.
[/tex]
Also,
[tex]
(\sqrt{2}+1)^2=2+2\sqrt{2}+1=3+2\sqrt{2}.
[/tex]
Hopefully, that helps

Your equation is of the form:
[tex]a=b*c^{x-1}[/tex]
where a,b,c are ugly numbers.
Solve for x in this GENERAL form first, and then, if you absolutely have to, substitute them with your ugly numbers.

arildno said:
Your equation is of the form:
[tex]a=b*c^{x-1}[/tex]
where a,b,c are ugly numbers.
Solve for x in this GENERAL form first, and then, if you absolutely have to, substitute them with your ugly numbers.

I disagree totally with this. The general answer would be x=log(a/b)/log(c)+1, but the point of the original question seems to be to do some simple arithmetic in [tex]Z[\sqrt{2}][/itex], and the answer is an integer, and can be solved exactly without resorting to log tables or a calculator. Expressed as logs, that would not be clear.

1. What is an equation that cannot be solved?

An equation that cannot be solved is typically one that contains variables on both sides, making it impossible to isolate a single variable and find a specific solution.

2. Why can't equations always be solved?

Equations cannot always be solved because they may be too complex, have too many variables, or lack enough information to find a specific solution.

3. Are there any techniques for solving equations that can't be solved?

Yes, there are techniques such as substitution, elimination, and graphing that can help to find approximate solutions or identify patterns in the equation.

4. Is it possible for an equation to have no solution?

Yes, there are equations that have no solution, such as contradictory equations where the variables cancel out or when the equation represents a false statement.

5. Can equations with imaginary numbers be solved?

Yes, equations with imaginary numbers can be solved using complex numbers and techniques such as factoring, completing the square, and the quadratic formula.