Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation decoupling in Cosmological Perturbation theory

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am recently reading Weinberg's Cosmology, and getting subtle on Ch5, small fluctuation.

One of the subtle point is on P.225-226 (same as (F.11) -> (F.13) and (F.14) in appendix F). The equations of motion (5.1.24)-(5.1.26) are decomposed into many parts. For example, (5.1.24) is decomposed into (5.1.44), (5.1.45), (5.1.50) and (5.1.53). I found this is very common in cosmological perturbation, I google many times and read the G&C by weinberg, they usually directly decouple the equations into scalar mode and vector mode according to different parts in vector/tensor decomposition.

In my understanding, I don't think (5.1.24) does imply these four equations. I wonder if this is an assumption because these four equations imply (5.1.24), but it seems there should be some meaningful stuff in between (Weinberg wrote: The solutions of Eqs. (F.10)–(F.12) can be classified according to the transformation properties of the dependent variables under three-dimensional rotations). So how do the properties help in decoupling the equation?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted