Concave Lens Equation Derivation: Understanding the Role of Refractive Index

• Thread starter Daniiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the conversation is about an equation derivation involving a concave lens, where n1=1 for a fish in a fish bowl. The speaker's solution differs from the given solution (r/(n2+1)), as they get n2r/(n2+1). The given solution is correct, but the speaker is unsure about how n2 was cancelled. The problem in the book involves a fish inside a bowl, with n1=1.33 and n2=1, and the formula simplifies to n1/p + n2/i = (n1-n2)/r. The speaker thanks the other person for their help.
Daniiel
Hey
this is a pretty straight forward equation derivation, but when i do it and compare it to the solutions, mine is different to theirs.
The equation is
[PLAIN]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9790/ddaaad.jpg where n1=1
for a concave lens (fish in a fish bowl) so r is negative

solving for i

they get, r/(n2+1)

and i get n2r/(n2+1)

there answer seems right for the question, but I am just not sure how they canceled the n2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post the actual problem in the book.

[PLAIN]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/593/dsdsdsaas.jpg

p = r/2 n2 = water

Last edited by a moderator:
The fish is inside the bowl. So the formula becomes

n1/p + n2/i = (n1 - n2)/r

Here n1 = 1.33 and n2 = 1.

Now simplify and find i.

oh right
thanks alot

What is an equation derivation problem?

An equation derivation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to an equation by using logical steps and mathematical operations.

Why are equation derivation problems important in science?

Equation derivation problems are important in science because they allow scientists to understand and model various phenomena and make predictions based on mathematical relationships.

What are the key steps to solve an equation derivation problem?

The key steps to solve an equation derivation problem include identifying the given information, understanding the variables and their relationships, applying appropriate mathematical operations, and simplifying the equation to find the solution.

What are some common types of equations used in science?

Some common types of equations used in science include linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and logarithmic equations.

How can I improve my skills in solving equation derivation problems?

To improve your skills in solving equation derivation problems, you can practice regularly, review fundamental mathematical concepts, and seek help from teachers or resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.