Equation Editor

Who knows of a good equation editor?

I have used the one that comes with MS Word, and I find it very convenient. Changes in my circumstances will take this editor out of my reach, so I need to find a new one. I found one that is called "Equation Illustrator V." It is clearly more cumbersome that the MS Word Equation editor.
I would like the program to work indepently of other programs. It would be nice if it included drawing tools for diagrams and such. I don't mind paying a few dollars for a good editor, but of course I'd prefer a free one.

Dx

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
Who knows of a good equation editor?

I have used the one that comes with MS Word, and I find it very convenient. Changes in my circumstances will take this editor out of my reach, so I need to find a new one. I found one that is called "Equation Illustrator V." It is clearly more cumbersome that the MS Word Equation editor.
I would like the program to work indepently of other programs. It would be nice if it included drawing tools for diagrams and such. I don't mind paying a few dollars for a good editor, but of course I'd prefer a free one.
what changes take this out of your reach?

I'm going to school, moving away, buying a new computer. The new computer won't have MS Word. Rather than purchase MS word, I thought I could find a new editor. Besides, MS Word only writes equations. Drawing and labeling pictures is pretty good, but could be easier.

m-theory

MS word is still pretty good.

m-theory

maybe your new computer will come with something.