Solve 7x≈3 mod(15) - James

• Thread starter hammonjj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the problem is to find the values of x for which 7x≈3 mod(15). However, the equation is not generally true for all values of x. To solve it, one can write 3/7 in the mod 15 system by using the fact that 7(-2)≡ 1 mod(15).
hammonjj

Homework Statement

Show that:

7x≈3 mod(15)

Homework Equations

From the given above I think it should be:

7x-3=15n

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried factoring this in various ways to show that either said was a factor of the other, but I'm struggling here.

But I don't know what to do from here. I actually have several of these problems, but I assume that once I know how to do the first one, they will be easy.

Thoughts? Thanks!
James

Physics news on Phys.org
hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

Show that:

7x≈3 mod(15)

Homework Equations

7x-3=15n

I tried factoring this in various ways to show that either said was a factor of the other, but I'm struggling here.

But I don't know what to do from here. I actually have several of these problems, but I assume that once I know how to do the first one, they will be easy.

Thoughts? Thanks!
James

Well, for starters, it isn't true in general (for all x).

counterexample: for x = 3, 7*3 = 21 = 6 mod 15

So, since the equation isn't generally true, maybe the aim of the problem was to find the values of x for which it is true.

Mark44 said:
So, since the equation isn't generally true, maybe the aim of the problem was to find the values of x for which it is true.

In which case "Show that:", etc. is a terrible phrasing for it.

Yes, it is!

Hammonjj, you want to solve 7x= 3 (mod 15) for x. Of course, that is the same as x= (3/7) (mod 15) so you really just want to know how to write 3/7 in this mod 15 system.

Notice that 7(2)= 14= -1 (mod 15) so that 7(-2)= 1 (mod 15). And, since 15- 2= 13, 1/7= -2= 13 (mod 15). Now, what is 3/7 (mod 15)?

hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

Show that:

7x≈3 mod(15)

Homework Equations

7x-3=15n

Thoughts? Thanks!
James

Always verify with 0

What is the meaning of "mod" in this equation?

"Mod" is short for "modulo" and it represents the remainder when dividing the number on the left side of the equation by the number on the right side.

What does the "≈" symbol mean?

The symbol "≈" means "approximately equal to". In this context, it means that the left side of the equation is close to, but not exactly equal to, the right side.

How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you need to use the basic principles of algebra to isolate the variable "x" on one side of the equation. In this case, you can divide both sides by 7 to get x ≈ 3/7 mod(15).

What does it mean to solve an equation "mod" something?

Solving an equation "mod" something means finding all the possible answers within a specific range. In this case, we are looking for all the values of x that satisfy the equation 7x ≈ 3 mod(15).

Can you provide a numerical solution for this equation?

Yes, using the principles of modular arithmetic, we can determine that x ≈ 9 mod(15) is a solution to the equation 7x ≈ 3 mod(15). This means that 9 is one possible value for x that makes the equation true.