1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation fitting

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm almost too embarrassed to post, but I thought someone might have insight that could help me here. I'm trying to fit an equation to data, but I'm just not sure what sort of equation I should use. I have some requirements on the form of the equation, and then I have points (yet to be determined, actually).

[tex]f'(x)>0\,\,\forall x>0[/tex] (cost is increasing)
    [tex]f''(x)<0\,\,\forall x>0[/tex] (essentially, average cost is decreasing)
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} f(x)=k[/tex] (price is bounded above in this fashion)

It would make the most sense if the origin was included, but this can be one of the data points.

So before I even think about least-squares vs. minimal points on the curve, I wanted to consider different forms that could make sense. The first that comes to mind was the elementary

[tex]y=a-\frac{ac}{x+c}[/tex]

but this has some instabilities and oddities. I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on widely-used models that fit my criteria or could be modified to fit them. In the perfect case I'd have a smooth equation that was nearly linear for small x and essentially hyperbolic for large x.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2006 #2

SGT

One equation that fits your requirements is:
    [tex]f(x) = k(1 - e^{-ax}) [/tex] k > 0 a > 0
    Then
    [tex]f´(x) = ak e^{-ax} > 0[/tex]
    [tex]f"(x) = -a^2k e^{-ax} < 0[/tex]

4. Apr 11, 2006 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. You know, I was just so out of it I didn't think to use this. :blushing:

I'm going to play with this for a while and make it work. You gave me just what I needed to get my brain working again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook