1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for magnetic field

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    Right now I'm looking at this equation for magnetic field force where F=BqVsinΘ where B is magnetic field, q is charge of particle, and V is velocity. However I've seen from some sites that F does not include sinΘ so I was confused on whether which one is right. And also what is Θ in respect to. Is it the angle of the particle direction to the magnetic field?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    This is the vector form of the equation for the force on a charged-particle with some velocity in a magnetic field:

[tex] \vec{F} = q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex]

If your given the velocity and the magnetic field in vector form, i.e. [tex] \vec{v} = \left(v_{x}\right)\hat{x} + \left(v_{y}\right)\hat{y} + \left(v_{z}\right)\hat{z} [/tex], then you can determine the force vector by taking the cross-product. Clear?

Using just magnitudes of the quantities gives the second-form:

[tex] F = qvBsin\theta [/tex]

where [tex] \theta [/tex] is the angle between the velocity, v, and the magnetic field B. This form is used quite often when v and B are constants. Now, if [tex] \theta = \pi/2 [/tex] then the sine term has value 1, so when you do not see the sine term this is what you should assume. Clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?