Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for parallel transport involving sectional curvature

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    This is an expression I came across in a paper I am going through. It involves an expression for the parallel transport of a tangent vector taking into consideration the sectional curvature of simply connected space-forms in [itex] \mathbb R^4 [/itex]. I have not been able to derive it.The equation simply states that
    [itex]P^{t}(v) = -\epsilon g(t)p+f(t)v[/itex]

where [itex] \epsilon = 1, 0 ,-1 [/itex] depending on whether the space-form in question is the sphere, Euclidean plane and Hyperbolic plane [itex] \mathbb S^3 , \mathbb E^3, \mathbb H^3 [/itex] respectively and the functions are

[itex] f(t) = 1, g(t)=t [/itex] for [itex] \mathbb E^3 [/itex]
    [itex] f(t) = \cos t, g(t)= \sin t [/itex] for [itex] \mathbb S^3 [/itex]
    [itex] f(t) = \cosh t, g(t)= \sinh t [/itex] for [itex] \mathbb H^3 [/itex]

Can someone please tell me how the above can be explicitly computed without taking recourse to Lie Groups. A reference where this is worked out in detail would also be welcome. I have included the paper link. Thanks http://www.mathnet.or.kr/mathnet/thesis_file/BKMS-50-4-1099-1108.pdf

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted