1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for probability

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    Hello

I'm trying to remember back to my high school / college days and have no idea where to start.

Basically, I'm trying to find probability in numbers for a specific range. I'd like to figure out an equation so I can plug it into software. Here are my sample values below:

So this line will basically never hit 1. I can't for the life of me figure out what to search for on google for this, I remember doing something easy back in school, but it's been a good 20 years, and actually need to use it.

Any direction would be great.

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

What's the exact problem? I can't really tell what your question is. What does it mean to "find probability in numbers for a specific range"? What are those sample values you listed? What exactly are you trying to find the probability of? etc..

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    There's a system called the Elo Rating System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system). I'm trying to figure out the probability of Player A vs Player B. I played around in excel using Ln which is sort of what I'm looking for based off of a table similar to http://www.ascotti.org/programming/chess/elo.htm [Broken]

I was hoping to simplify it the best I could.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 6, 2011 #4
    If you really want there to be a horizontal asymptote at y=1, log won't do the trick since it's unbounded. Maybe something more along the lines of
    [tex]
    f(x) = \frac{x+1}{x+2} = 1 - \frac{1}{x+2}
    [/tex]
    would work, since it does have a horizontal asymptote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook