1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for the tension in the string

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Two objects A and B hang down on either side of a smotth pulley, connected by an inextensible string. The masses of the objects are 3m and km respectivly. A accelerated at 2/5g when released. g=9.8N. What is the value of k.
    I worked it out to be 1.29, by writing an equation for the tension in the string for both objects. But the the value of k is supposed to be greater than 3. :confused: Did I use the wrong method?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What direction does A accelerate? You assumed down, and got the correct answer for that assumption. If km > 3m, then A would accelerate up. Try making that assumption and solve for k.
  4. Mar 12, 2005 #3
    yes. This time round I get k=7? Is this right?
  5. Mar 12, 2005 #4
    Oh right. I didnt read the question properly. if k is bigger than 3, then obviously its the greater mass. Thanks for clearing my problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?