How can I fix my equation for finding initial velocity of a rocket?

• Thread starter aquameatwad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the initial velocity of a rocket to reach a certain height using a differential equation. The equation used was v^2 = 2g(R/(R+h))-2gR+V(0)^2, with v representing velocity, g representing acceleration of gravity, R representing radius of Earth, and h representing the desired height. There was some confusion about the equation and possible mistakes being made. Eventually, a minor typo was discovered and corrected.
aquameatwad
i was working on a differential equation to find the initial velocity of a rocket to get to height h.

so i have, which i got and its correct cause its the solution in the book, v^2 = 2g(R/(R+h))-2gR+V(0)^2

v = velocity
g = acceleration of gravity at Earth's surface
R= radius of earth
h = height
and i assume v(0) is the velocity v at height=0 so v(0)=0?

Problem is when i keep getting a negative number. so i assume I'm making an amateur mistake.

What am i doing wrong? I've tried converting etc. I am using km

Physics news on Phys.org
aquameatwad said:
i was working on a differential equation to find the initial velocity of a rocket to get to height h.

so i have, which i got and its correct cause its the solution in the book, v^2 = 2g(R/(R+h))-2gR+V(0)^2

Really? I'm concerned because the terms in your equation don't match dimensions. Specifically, 2gR/(R+h) does not match 2gR.

Make that very concerned. :uhh:

I'm trying to use this
diff-eqn-rocket.jpg

y = R (the radius of the earth) +h ( the height i want to reach).

The last equation looks OK except there's a minor typo in it. The equation before that is OK, so use it to solve for v0.

whats the typo?

aquameatwad said:
whats the typo?

Bottom equation, " v2 = v2 ". Equating velocity with velocity-squared is a no-no.

What is the equation for velocity?

The equation for velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

How do you calculate velocity?

To calculate velocity, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity in meters per second, d is the distance in meters, and t is the time in seconds.

What are the units for velocity?

The units for velocity are meters per second (m/s) in the metric system, and feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) in the imperial system.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures magnitude. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

How is velocity related to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related, as acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that if an object's velocity changes, it is experiencing acceleration. The equation for acceleration is a = (vf-vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.