Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation help

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    Is anybody aware of an equation that can be used to describe a floating ball in an air jet?

http://www.ap.stmarys.ca/demos/content/fluids/bernoulli_floating_ball/bernoulli_floating_ball.html [Broken]

I'd just like to put numbers into an equation and prove that the forces on either side of the ball are equal.

the balls mass is 2g
    take gravity as 9.81ms ?

F=ma (0.002kg x 9.81) = 0.0196N

that should be the component of force acting downwards upon the ball, would you agree?

Now i'd like to find a way of calculating the force acting up on the ball, which I'd expect to be close to the figure above. Any suggestions ?

I dunno if i'm on the right track because i'm a bit thick but should I be looking into the drag coefficient equation ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do not think that you will find a single simple equation which will do what you want. One could create a mathematical model of this situation, but I cannot guarantee that the resulting system of equations would have a closed form solution.

4. Feb 19, 2004 #3
    i'm probably just better off saying that it follows newtons 2nd law. Thnx for reply anyway :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook