Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation help

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    Is anybody aware of an equation that can be used to describe a floating ball in an air jet?

I'd just like to put numbers into an equation and prove that the forces on either side of the ball are equal.

the balls mass is 2g
    take gravity as 9.81ms ?

F=ma (0.002kg x 9.81) = 0.0196N

that should be the component of force acting downwards upon the ball, would you agree?

Now i'd like to find a way of calculating the force acting up on the ball, which I'd expect to be close to the figure above. Any suggestions ?

I dunno if i'm on the right track because i'm a bit thick but should I be looking into the drag coefficient equation ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do not think that you will find a single simple equation which will do what you want. One could create a mathematical model of this situation, but I cannot guarantee that the resulting system of equations would have a closed form solution.
  4. Feb 19, 2004 #3
    i'm probably just better off saying that it follows newtons 2nd law. Thnx for reply anyway :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?