1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Help

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    I am having some problems, I am on the work energy theorem and I had to do some problems for homework. For one of the questions I was not given enough information.

I am supposed to find the initial velocity, when they tell us the final velocity is zero, the coefficient of friction is 0.42 and the distance in the x direction is 88m. But I don't understand how I can find the initial velocity like that.
    I know:
    and it says mass doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, since this is a work-energy theorem question, why not make use of the work done by friction? How would you relate the work-energy theorem to this problem?
  4. Oct 21, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try using energy considerations. The initial kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the frictional force in stopping the object. Can you set up an equation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?