Need Help with Work Energy Theorem Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student having difficulty with a homework problem involving the work-energy theorem. They are given the final velocity, coefficient of friction, and distance in the x direction, but are unsure how to find the initial velocity. The expert suggests using the work done by friction and relating it to the work-energy theorem by setting up an energy equation.
Bobalandi
I am having some problems, I am on the work energy theorem and I had to do some problems for homework. For one of the questions I was not given enough information.

I am supposed to find the initial velocity, when they tell us the final velocity is zero, the coefficient of friction is 0.42 and the distance in the x direction is 88m. But I don't understand how I can find the initial velocity like that.
I know:
v^2=1/2mv^2
and it says mass doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since this is a work-energy theorem question, why not make use of the work done by friction? How would you relate the work-energy theorem to this problem?

Try using energy considerations. The initial kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the frictional force in stopping the object. Can you set up an equation?

1. What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How do you calculate work using the Work Energy Theorem?

To calculate work using the Work Energy Theorem, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in the Work Energy Theorem?

In the Work Energy Theorem, work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. The work done on an object changes its energy, specifically its kinetic energy.

4. Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to all situations?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to all situations where there is a change in an object's kinetic energy due to work being done on it.

5. How is the Work Energy Theorem related to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Work Energy Theorem is closely related to the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The Work Energy Theorem shows the transfer of energy from work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy, which ultimately follows the Law of Conservation of Energy.