Calculating the Height of a Stadium Using Ball Drop: 2.29 Seconds & Speed

In summary, the ball was dropped from a stadium and it hit the ground 2.29 seconds later. The height of the stadium can be found by using the equation h = h_0 - \frac{{gt^2 }}{2}. The ball is going at an average speed of 9.8/2 = 4.9 when it is dropped.
thschica
A ball is droped from a stadium.It hits the ground 2.29 seconds later.How high is the stadium?Do I use this equation?.5at^2(Thant is wrong isn't it?) How fast is the ball going when it hits the ground?(what equation do I use on this one?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming no initial speed, then the height h is given by:

[tex]h = h_0 - \frac{{gt^2 }}{2}[/tex]

Here, [itex]h_0[/itex] is the initial height, so what you are looking for. You choose h = 0, because that's where it hits the ground. Then fill in t and g and solve for [itex]h_0[/itex].

In this case would the answer be about 25.7 meters? And How do I tell How fast the marble is going?

That seems to be correct yes.

For the other question, use a relation between acceleration, speed and time. If time is in s and acceleration in m/s², what would give speed (m/s)?

would that equation be the y='s one?

I was thinking about v = at

I have another question.If something is dropped and hits the ground one second later how high is it? With that equation I got 7.1.Why is it not 9.8 meters?

Because it's not the speed which is 9.8m/s but the acceleration which is 9.8m/s².
Are you sure you got 7.1 though?

No I got 4.9 sorry

Would the ball be going 22m/s before it hit the ground?

thschica said:
No I got 4.9 sorry
That is correct.

You see, an acceleration of 9.8m/s² means that after a full second, the speed has increased 9.8m/s. So when dropping something with no initial speed, it only reaches the speed of 9.8m/s after the full second, so when it hits the ground in your example.

The avarage speed was 9.8/2 = 4.9, exactly what you found :smile:

thschica said:
Would the ball be going 22m/s before it hit the ground?
That seems correct, approximately.

Thank You so much TD

No problem :smile:

Say someone threw the ball up and it didnt hit the ground until 3.53 seconds later how do I find out the ending velocity?What if it was thrown down and hit the ground 1.81 seconds later?

Thrown up would require the initial height and thrown down the initial speed, unless there is none.

Perhaps someone else can help, I'm logging off. 2.50 AM here, good luck!

1. How do you calculate the height of a stadium using ball drop?

To calculate the height of a stadium using ball drop, you will need to know the time it takes for the ball to drop and the speed at which it falls. This can be done by using the equation h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. Plug in the known values and solve for h to get the height of the stadium.

2. What is the significance of using a 2.29 second ball drop in the calculation?

The 2.29 second ball drop is used to measure the time it takes for the ball to fall from the top of the stadium to the ground. This time is important in the calculation because it is used to determine the height of the stadium using the equation h = (1/2)gt^2.

3. How is the speed of the ball determined?

The speed of the ball can be determined by measuring the distance it travels in a given time. In this case, the speed is measured in meters per second (m/s). This speed is used in the calculation of the height of the stadium.

4. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculation. These include air resistance, temperature, and the shape and weight of the ball. These factors may cause the ball to fall at a slightly different speed, which can affect the calculated height of the stadium.

5. Can this method be used to calculate the height of any object?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the height of any object as long as the time it takes for the object to fall and the speed at which it falls are known. However, it is important to consider any external factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculation, as mentioned in the previous question.