1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation Help

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    If a blue light has a wavelength of 550 x 10^-9 (550 nanometers), what is the frequency of the light?

I've went over this again and again and yet I keep messing up somewhere...

The equation is the speed of light = wavelength * frequency right?

If I'm trying to find the frequency, the equation would be the speed of light / wavelength = frequency...am I still okay or have I already messed up?:rofl:

Okay, if the speed of light in a vacuum (That right there confuses me already but I decided not to delve into it...I'm gettin' tired.:zzz: ) is 2.99792 * 10^8 and the wavelength is 550 * 10^-9...then I just need to fill in the equation.

2.99792 * 10^8/550 * 10^-9 = frequency

Aye, that's a complicated thing to solve...:surprised I'm getting no where near the choice answers...

5.45 x 10^14
    3.568 E -7
    5.5 x 10^-7
    2.99 x 10^8

I tried solving that thing about four different ways and still didn't get it right...:bugeye:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right till now.

It's not complicated to solve. Are you using a calculator to solve this? If so, remember to put the brackets properly when you are dividing.

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Along the lines of what siddharth mentioned,

try 2.99792/550 * 108/10-9= 0.00545 * 1017

Be careful how one treats the base (powers of 10).

Discussion of scientific notation - http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/textbook/scinot.html

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, whoever choose those "distractors" was in a generous mood. Looking at the exponents pretty much gives the answer away.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    siddharth: Are you using a calculator to solve this? If so, remember to put the brackets properly when you are dividing.

No, I tried but I kept getting "ERR: SYNTAX" and I'm guessing it had to do with the negative exponent. That's why I tried to solve it by hand.

Astronuc: try 2.99792/550 * 108/10-9= 0.00545 * 10^17

I believe that's one of the things I tried but I messed up the exponents. When dividing, I thought you were to subtract them...Oh wait, that'd still come to 17.:yuck: Wow, I can't believe I made such a goofy mistake.:rofl: Either way, that isn't one of the answers...

HallsofIvy: Looking at the exponents pretty much gives the answer away.

Aye, I figured this was a rather easy problem that I just wasn't getting for some odd reason...:shy:

I think I'll start this one over and try again, hopefully I'm not missing something that'll mess me up.:smile:

7. Nov 1, 2005 #6
    Never mind, got it...that was a stupid question.:blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?