How can you use a substitution to solve a quartic equation?

In summary: No, there is a more general way to solve these types of equations. It's a bit more complicated, but it's possible. I'll describe it in more detail later. For now, I suggest you Google "linear equation in three variables" and see if you can find a more detailed explanation.In summary, there is more than one way to solve equations involving quartics, but the most general method requires solving a cubic equation in k^2. You can find more information about it by searching for "linear equation in three variables".
stupidkid
PHP:
Solve for x:
x^2+x^2/(x+1)^2=3
I got the final equation but I am unable to get the it form there.
x^4-x^2+2x^3-6x-3=0

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid there is no simple way to find x - you'll have to use numerical methods. You can find first 2 solutions by graphing this, and the last 2 are complex. I've enclosed the graph that should help you find where your roots are located for real numbers

Last edited:
It is incorrect, there is a formula to solve algebraic eqations until the 4 grade.

I have links to italian pages, but, if you try you'll find something in english, too.

The two real solutions are (1+-sqrt(5))/2

Last edited:
[tex]x^4+2x^3-x^2-6x-3 = (x^2-x+1)(x^2+3x+3)[/tex]

The first has the solutions above
The second has no real solutions

You made a typo, [tex]x^4+2x^3-x^2-6x-3 = (x^2-x-1)(x^2+3x+3)[/tex]

Yes, of course!

it's [tex]x^2-x-1[/tex]

there is another method to do it though using quadratic equations entirely.
use a2 + b2 = (a - b)2 + 2ab. then put x2/(x+1) = y

Is there a actual way to solve these type of sums! PLS I NEED HELP I AM DUMB.

stupidkid said:
Is there a actual way to solve these type of sums! PLS I NEED HELP I AM DUMB.

You know, there is a method for solving these "quartic" equations. It's messy and confussing though. I'll describe it in general terms; you can investigate it further if you wish. Consider the general case:

[tex]x^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e=0[/tex]

We can make a substitution [itex]x=y-\frac{1}{4}b[/itex] to convert it to a "reduced quartic":

[tex]y^4+qy^2+ry+s=0[/tex]

Can you make that substitution?

Now, assume the reduced quartic can be factored into two quadratics:

[tex]y^4+qy^2+ry+s=(y^2+2ky+l)(y^2-2ky+m)[/tex]

where k,l, and m are to be determined. You can equate coefficients of like powers and end up with two equations for l and m in terms of k. Upon making some additional substitutions you'll end up with a sixth-degree polynomial called the "resolvent cubic":

[tex]64k^6+32qk^4+4(q^2-4s)k^2-r^2=0[/tex]

This resolvent cubic is actually a cubic equation in [itex]k^2[/itex]. Now, you can use the method, equally messy, to solve for a general cubic equation for [itex]k^2[/tex] and then use one value of k to determine l and m, then the quadratics above.

You're thinking now, "forget that dude, I'll just plug it into Mathematica and call it done". :smile:

What is the purpose of equation homework problems?

The purpose of equation homework problems is to test your understanding and application of mathematical concepts and equations.

How do I solve an equation homework problem?

To solve an equation homework problem, you need to first identify the given variables and the unknown variable. Then, use algebraic operations to manipulate the equation until the unknown variable is isolated on one side of the equal sign.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving equation homework problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving equation homework problems include forgetting to distribute terms, making calculation errors, and not following the correct order of operations.

How can I check if my answer to an equation homework problem is correct?

You can check your answer to an equation homework problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also double check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps.

What resources can I use to help me solve equation homework problems?

There are many resources you can use to help you solve equation homework problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and asking your teacher or peers for assistance. You can also use a calculator or online equation solver to check your work.