Equation I can't seem to solve

• Thread starter karis scherer
  • Start date
In summary, to ensure you have the correct equation, you can plug in the given values and check if the resulting solution makes sense. If you are getting different answers, check for potential errors and inconsistencies. If you don't understand the equation, break it down and seek clarification from a teacher or colleague. You can use a calculator or computer program to solve equations, but it's important to understand the underlying concepts. To check your solution, plug it back into the original equation or seek a second opinion.
karis scherer
Here is the equation:
(45)(4)+(m)(7.6)=(45+m)(6)

As you can see this is an equation for an inelastic collision problem and i am obviously trying to figure out how to solve for "m"

now i already know that the answer is m=56 but i would like to know how you work it out, every time i try it something goes wrong. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've tried. Then we can give you advice you can use.

You want to collect all terms with "m" to one side. Start by multiplying out the right hand side.

1. How do I know if I have the correct equation?

One way to check if you have the correct equation is to plug in the given values and see if the resulting solution matches the given information or makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. Why am I getting a different answer every time I solve the equation?

There could be several reasons for getting different answers, such as making a calculation error, using the wrong formula, or using different units. It is important to double check your work and make sure all values are consistent.

3. What should I do if I don't understand the equation?

If you don't understand the equation, try breaking it down into smaller parts and analyzing each component separately. You can also consult with a teacher or colleague for clarification or do some research to better understand the equation.

4. Can I solve this equation using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer program to solve equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the equation rather than relying solely on technology.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also ask for a second opinion from a peer or teacher to confirm your solution.