What is the Equation in Fraction Form for Solving a Linear Equation?

In summary, the conversation involves a student showing their attempt at solving an algebraic equation and seeking guidance on whether their solution is correct. The expert reminds the student to always check their solution and to be careful when solving for the variable.
Paulo2014

Homework Statement

(3x-5)/4 + (2-3x)/2 = (x-2)/5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this and got x= 6.3 reacurring... but i don't think it is right...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{3x-5}{4}+\frac{2-3x}{2}=\frac{x-2}{5}[/tex]

Multiply everything by 20

[tex]5(3x-5)+10(2-3x)=4(x-2)[/tex]

Take it from here ...

Show your work, how did you get that answer?

I multiplied everything by 40, not 20, and then went 10(3x-5) + 20(2-3x) = 8(x-2)

Ok, keep showing your work and we'll look over it. I'm not going to do it for you.

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging it into your original equation ... left should equal the right.

I know. then I expanded everything to make it :
30x-50+40-60x=8x-16

Then I combined like terms to make it -30x-10=8x-16

Then I moved like terms to make it: -38x=-6

Which equals 6.3 reacuring... is that right?

Work looks fine, now check your solution.

Why are you dividing 38 by 6? You're trying to solve for the x.

Don't you divide by the number in front of x by the number after the equals sign to get the answer for x?

No. For example:

[tex]6x = 12[/tex]

[tex]\frac{6x}{6}=\frac{12}{6}[/tex]

[tex]x=2[/tex]

This is really basic algebra.

But that is exactly what I did... -38x/-38= -6/-38

6/38 is not 6.333.

oh... i see what i did wrong... thanks for pointing that out...

1. What is an equation in fraction form?

An equation in fraction form is a mathematical expression that contains fractions. It includes one or more variables, numerical coefficients, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. The goal of an equation in fraction form is to solve for the value of the variable.

2. How do you solve an equation in fraction form?

To solve an equation in fraction form, you can use basic algebraic principles such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating the variable on one side of the equation. You can also use cross multiplication or finding a common denominator to simplify the fractions. The end result should be a single value for the variable that satisfies the equation.

3. Can an equation in fraction form have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation in fraction form can have more than one solution. This is because a fraction can be simplified in different ways, resulting in different values for the variable. For example, the equation 3x/9 = 1 can have a solution of x = 3 or x = 9, depending on how you simplify the fraction.

4. How do you check if a solution is correct for an equation in fraction form?

To check if a solution is correct for an equation in fraction form, you can substitute the value of the variable into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. In other words, the left side of the equation should equal the right side of the equation when the value of the variable is substituted.

5. Can an equation in fraction form have fractions in the solution?

Yes, an equation in fraction form can have fractions in the solution. This can happen when the coefficients and constants in the equation are also fractions. You can simplify the fractions in the solution further, if needed, to get a final value for the variable.