Equation in R^4, R^5, and R^6

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x^2 -2x + y^2 -2y + z^2 -2z + t^2 -2t + 4 = 0 represents a fixed point at (1,1,1,1) in \Re^4, a line at x=y=z=t=1 in \Re^5, and a plane in \Re^6. The equation can be simplified by completing the square, which shows that 4 can be represented as 1+1+1+1. By looking at smaller cases, it can be deduced that the equation represents a line and a plane in \Re^5 and \Re^6, respectively. However, the exact equation
snipez90

Homework Statement

What does the equation [tex]x^2 -2x + y^2 -2y + z^2 -2z + t^2 -2t + 4 = 0[/tex]
represent in [tex]\Re^4[/tex]? What does it represent in [tex]\Re^5[/tex]? What does it represent in [tex]\Re^6[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Complete the square.

The Attempt at a Solution

After completing the square (letting 4 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1), the equation becomes

[tex](x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2 + (z-1)^2 + (t-1)^2 = 0[/tex]

In [tex]\Re^4[/tex], the equation represents the coordinate (1,1,1,1). I have a hard time visualizing the cases for [tex]\Re^5[/tex] and [tex]\Re^6[/tex]. I figure that it should be easier to visualize knowing that in [tex]\Re^4[/tex], we have a fixed point.

Of course I have deduced that we will get a line and a plane in [tex]\Re^5[/tex] and [tex]\Re^6[/tex], respectively, by looking at smaller cases. But what is the exact configuration and how do I see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
… don't worry …

snipez90 said:
What does it represent in [tex]\Re^5[/tex]? What does it represent in [tex]\Re^6[/tex]?

Of course I have deduced that we will get a line and a plane in [tex]\Re^5[/tex] and [tex]\Re^6[/tex], respectively, by looking at smaller cases. But what is the exact configuration and how do I see it?

Hi snipez90! :smile:

"a line and a plane" is the answer! :smile:

If you want to give the exact equation, the line, for example, would be x=y=z=t=1 (and w = anything). :wink:

1. What is the definition of an equation in R^4, R^5, and R^6?

An equation in R^4, R^5, and R^6 is a mathematical statement that equates two expressions involving variables in these four, five, and six-dimensional spaces. It is typically written in the form of x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = y1 + y2 + y3 + y4 in R^4, x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 = y1 + y2 + y3 + y4 + y5 in R^5, and x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 = y1 + y2 + y3 + y4 + y5 + y6 in R^6.

2. What are the applications of equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 in real-world problems?

Equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and dimensions. For example, equations in R^4 can be used to describe the motion of an object in space, while equations in R^5 can be used to model a chemical reaction with five reactants.

3. How are equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 solved?

Equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 can be solved using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and find their values that satisfy the equation. Advanced techniques such as matrix operations and calculus can also be used in more complex equations.

4. What are the challenges of working with equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6?

One of the main challenges of working with equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 is visualizing and understanding the four, five, and six-dimensional spaces. It can be difficult to visualize and manipulate multiple variables in higher dimensions, making it challenging to solve equations. Additionally, the complexity of equations in higher dimensions can also make them more difficult to solve.

5. How are equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 related to vectors and vector spaces?

Equations in R^4, R^5, and R^6 are closely related to vectors and vector spaces. In fact, equations in these spaces can be represented using vectors and solved using vector operations. Additionally, vector spaces provide a framework for understanding and manipulating equations in higher dimensions.