1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation in R^4, R^5, and R^6

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What does the equation [tex]x^2 -2x + y^2 -2y + z^2 -2z + t^2 -2t + 4 = 0[/tex]
    represent in [tex]\Re^4[/tex]? What does it represent in [tex]\Re^5[/tex]? What does it represent in [tex]\Re^6[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations
    Complete the square.

3. The attempt at a solution
    After completing the square (letting 4 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1), the equation becomes

[tex](x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2 + (z-1)^2 + (t-1)^2 = 0[/tex]

In [tex]\Re^4[/tex], the equation represents the coordinate (1,1,1,1). I have a hard time visualizing the cases for [tex]\Re^5[/tex] and [tex]\Re^6[/tex]. I figure that it should be easier to visualize knowing that in [tex]\Re^4[/tex], we have a fixed point.

Of course I have deduced that we will get a line and a plane in [tex]\Re^5[/tex] and [tex]\Re^6[/tex], respectively, by looking at smaller cases. But what is the exact configuration and how do I see it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… don't worry …

Hi snipez90! :smile:

"a line and a plane" is the answer! :smile:

If you want to give the exact equation, the line, for example, would be x=y=z=t=1 (and w = anything). :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?