Help with Solving This Equation

• Thread starter jimmie 88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a binomial distribution equation. The equation is written in a specific format and the person is unsure whether to divide 100 by 2 or use the 2 as part of the multiplication. They are seeking clarification and assistance with solving the problem.
jimmie 88
Hello, could use a hand with this,
(100) (.2)X(.8) 100-X =

This equation is written in this format and I can't remember wether I should divide 100 by 2 or use the 2 as part of the multiplication. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this what you are trying to write out?

[tex]
(100)(0.2x)(.8)(100 - x) = 2
[/tex]

jimmie 88 said:
Hello, could use a hand with this,
(100) (.2)X(.8) 100-X =
This equation is written in this format and I can't remember wether I should divide 100 by 2 or use the 2 as part of the multiplication. Thanks
I am confused by your grouping here.

if you can clear it up a bit I think I can help you out.

Please to do not double post! You posted this in the homework section and I responded there.

(This is a binomial distribution problem.)

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities using symbols, numbers, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is isolated. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side and the numerical value on the other side.

3. What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are operations that undo each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as are multiplication and division. When solving an equation, you use inverse operations to isolate the variable.

4. What is the order of operations?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, is a set of rules that dictates the order in which operations should be performed in a mathematical expression. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

5. Can I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

Yes, you can always check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. This is an important step to ensure that you have not made any mistakes while solving the equation.