1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a circle

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    Right now, I need to use the equation of a circle to describe a geometry I'm dealing with in a research project. For some reason, I cannot make sense of it, and it is extremely frustrating... Right now I'm using:

r = Rcos(theta)+sqrt(A^2-(Rsin(theta))^2)

where R is the distance from the origin to the center of the circle and A is the radius of the circle. Assume the center of the circle lies on the polar axis. I keep getting complex lengths for 'r', which obviously comes from the negative term in the square root. Can someone explain to me in a physical sense why this is happening? And my main question is how can I make it so I only obtain proper, real lengths for 'r'? Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

What do r and theta represent? We can't tell you why your equation is giving you non-nonsensical answers if we don't know what it is, in principle, supposed to mean. Where did your equation come from?

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    In short, you are dealing with the case where R > A. In this case, value of [tex]\theta[/tex] cannot be arbitrary. If the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] is too large, there will be no intersection between the radial line and the circle.

Please refer to this http://www.voofie.com/content/78/why-do-i-get-imaginary-value-for-radius-from-equation-of-circle-in-polar-coordinate/" [Broken], which has nice graphs and detailed steps to illustrate the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook