1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a Circle

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    I'm having some difficulty with this question. Can anyone help me out, please?

Many thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circle of radius length [itex]\sqrt{20}[/itex] contains the point (-1, 3). Its centre lies on the line x + y = 0. Find the equations of the 2 circles that satisfy these conditions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Circle equation for the point: [itex](-1-h)^2+(3-k)^2=20\rightarrow h^2+k^2+2h-6k-10=0[/itex]
    Because x+y=0 contains centre c as (-g, -f), we can say -g - f = 0.
    Thus, -g = -2h & -f = 6k.
    And so, [itex]x+y=0\rightarrow -2h+6k=0\rightarrow h=3k[/itex].
    Returning to circle equation: [itex](3k)^2+k^2+2(3k)-6k-10=0\rightarrow 10k^2=10\rightarrow k=+/- 1[/itex]
    For k = 1: [itex]h=3k\rightarrow h=3[/itex].
    Thus, centre c = (3, 1) and equation = [itex](x-3)^2+(y-1)^2=20\rightarrow x^2+y^2-6x-2y-10=0[/itex]
    For k = -1: [itex]h=-3[/itex]
    Thus, centre c = (-3, -1) and equation = [itex](x+3)^2+(y+1)^2=20\rightarrow x^2+y^2+6x+2y-10=0[/itex]

Ans.: (From text book): [itex]x^2+y^2-2x+2y-18=0[/itex] & [itex]x^2+y^2+10x-10y+30=0[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

You can't have a centre of (3,1) for example because the centre must lie on the line x=-y, so in your notation the centre is like (h,-h). The condition you want is that the distance between the centre and the point is less or equal to ##\sqrt{20}##. That is, $$\sqrt{(h+1)^2 + (k-3)^2} \leq \sqrt{20}$$ Use this and the condtion that h=-k, h and k denoting the coordinates of the centre.

EDIT: I misinterpreted what 'contained' meant - I think it should be that the point lies on the circumference of the circle so there is a strict equality in the above expression.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Ok, I have it now. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted