Equation of a curve homework

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a curve given its gradient and a point it passes through. The participants discuss the process of integrating the gradient to find the curve and determining the constant of integration using the given point. They also touch on sketching the graph and finding the points where the curve intersects the axes.
dan greig
i really need some help with this question, my assignment is due in tommorow, i don't really understand the question - please help!

A curve has a gradient (2x-3)(3x+2) at the point (x,y) and passes through the point (2,-3). Find the equation of the curve. illustrate the answer with a sketch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know that;

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = (2x-3)(3x+2)[/tex]

How do you suppose you can find [itex]y=...[/itex]?

~H

i think i have to integrate the gradient but not sure how to.

how does this help me find the equation of the curve?

When you differentiate a curve, you obtain the gradient. Therefore, if you integrate the gradient you will obtain the curve.

Here's a simple example.
If the gradient of a curve is given as [itex]2x[/tex] then;

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x[/tex]

[tex]y = \int \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int 2x dx[/tex]

[tex]y = x^2 + C[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the curve is [itex]y=x^2 + C[/itex]. In your case you are given a point, which will allow you to find the constant of integration.

Do you follow?
~H

so if i differentiate i get,

6x^2-9x-6

and then integrate,

2x^3-9x^2/2-6x ?

You don't need to differentiate, you are given the gradient of the curve ([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]), so all you need to do is integrate.

~H

so i get,

(x^2 - 3x)(3x^2/2 +2x) ?

If you distribute before you integrte you get 6X^2-5x-6
if you integrate that you get 2x^3-(5/2)x^2-6x+c
Plug in you x value to find c.

dan greig said:
so i get,

(x^2 - 3x)(3x^2/2 +2x) ?

You cannot integrate the brackets seperately as you have done. I would recommend expanding the brackets as tangents suggests, then integrating. As I said before, once you have integrated, you can use the given point to find the constant of integration.

~H

if i expand the brackets from (2x-3)(3x+2) i get,

6x^2 + 4x - 9x - 6

and then integrate,

y = 2x^3 + 2x^2 - 9x^2/2 - 6x +c

do i then just plug in the x and y values to find c by rearranging,

y - c = 2x^3 + 2x^2 - 9x^2/2 - 6x ?

Yes, that's correct. It may have been simpler to collect the terms before integrating thus;

[tex]6x^2 + 4x - 9x - 6 \equiv 6x^2 - 5x -6[/tex]

But your working is correct, as long as you collect you terms before presenting you final answer that is fine.

~H

Last edited:
do you mean 6x^2 - 5x -6

the result of this using x = 2 gives 8
does this mean,

-3 - c = 8

adding 3,

-c = 11,

c = -11 ?

sorry to keep on but i need to get this correct!

dan greig said:
do you mean 6x^2 - 5x -6

Yes, I've corrected my post above.

dan greig said:
the result of this using x = 2 gives 8
does this mean,

-3 - c = 8

adding 3,

-c = 11,

c = -11 ?

sorry to keep on but i need to get this correct!

No, you have to plug you numbers (x = 2, y = -3) into your intergrated equation. In my previous post I was simply pointing out that it would have been easier to integrate the equation if you had simplified first.

~H

dan greig said:
i really need some help with this question, my assignment is due in tommorow, i don't really understand the question - please help!

A curve has a gradient (2x-3)(3x+2) at the point (x,y) and passes through the point (2,-3). Find the equation of the curve. illustrate the answer with a sketch.
Okay, I think I'll make it a bit clearer for you.
A curve has a gradient (2x-3)(3x+2) at the point (x,y) simply means that the slope of the tangent line to the function at the point (x, y) is (2x-3)(3x+2). Or in other words, the derivative of that function is (2x-3)(3x+2). Can you get this?
So what you should do is to find the function by knowing its derivative, and 1 point it passes through.
You should first find the functons whose derivative is (2x-3)(3x+2), you can do this by integrating the derivative. And only 1 of those functions will pass the point given, with this information, you'll be able to obtain the desired function.
---------------
Example:
Find the curve whose derivative is 4x3 + 5, and passes through the point (0, 1).
---------------
First, you integrate the derivative:
[tex]\int (4x ^ 3 + 5) dx = x ^ 4 + 5x + C[/tex]
For every value of C, you'll have a function, and those functions that have the form x4 + 5x + C will have the derivative of 4x3 + 5 (they are parallel to each other, pick 2 distinct C's, graph it, and see what I mean, e.g x4 + 5x, and x4 + 5x + 4).
And 1 and only 1 of them will pass through (0, 1)
So:
1 = 04 + 5.0 + C
<=> C = 1.
So the curve is y = x4 + 5x + 1.
Can you get this? :)

would my final equation be,

y = 2x^2 - 5x^2/2 - 6x + 3 ??

i also need to sketch the graph, to find the points where the line intercects the axis do i use,

y = 0 for x axis
x = 0 for y axis

dan greig said:
y = 2x^2 - 5x^2/2 - 6x + 3 ??

Almost, I think it is just a typo, but the first term should be 2x3.

dan greig said:
i also need to sketch the graph, to find the points where the line intercects the axis do i use,

y = 0 for x axis
x = 0 for y axis

Yes, you are correct.

~H

P.s. I edit my last post because the 2x2through me a bit.

sorry it was supposed to be

2x^3-5x^2/2-6x+c

so that gives me,

c = -3-16+10+12 = 3

sorry that was a bit of a marathon, thank you for your help

Yeah, you've got it. No problem.

~H

1. What is an equation of a curve?

An equation of a curve is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between two variables on a graph. It shows how the value of one variable changes in relation to the other variable.

2. How do I find the equation of a curve?

To find the equation of a curve, you will need to gather data points from the curve and use a mathematical method, such as regression analysis, to determine the best fitting line or curve that represents the data. This line or curve will then be represented by an equation.

3. What is the purpose of finding the equation of a curve?

The equation of a curve helps us understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions about future data points. It is also useful in solving real-world problems and making informed decisions based on data.

4. What are some common methods used to find the equation of a curve?

Some common methods used to find the equation of a curve include linear regression, polynomial regression, and logarithmic regression. These methods use statistical techniques to determine the best fitting line or curve for the given data points.

5. How is the equation of a curve used in science?

The equation of a curve is used in science to model and understand various natural phenomena, such as the growth of bacteria, the decay of radioactive elements, and the spread of diseases. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology, to analyze and interpret data.