1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a Line

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    Just want a check of this please:

We have a complex equation of the form az+bz*+c=0
    where a, b and z are complex #s, c is real...
    If you take the real and imaginary parts of such an equation you obtain two linear equations in x and y, whose solutions of each gives rise to a line (L_1 and L_2 respectively)....
    The set then, of solutions, is L_1 unison L_2

Now, the set of solutions of the complex equation is either empty, a point, or a line....................the book gives these 3 examples as each case:
    z + z* = i

z+2z* = 0

z+z* = 0

I don't understand how z+z*=0 is a line... for we in fact have
    RE(Z+Z*)=2x=0
    IM(Z+Z*)= 0y = 0
    which then gives rise to a point solution does it not??

if it was z+z* = c say, then i could see that having a line of solutions but as it is, i reckon the book has made an error..... is this the case???

(perhaps i have confused the issue and if that is the case maybe then you coudl point out how my thinking is wrong)

THANKYOU :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2007 #2
    x=0 and y=0 refer not to points but to the y- and x- axis respectively, which you can see are lines, it's like saying for every value of y, x=0 or any constant so it's not a point but infact a line. I hope this explanation was coherent.

4. Jul 2, 2007 #3

uart

Science Advisor

It does not.

Yes 2x = 0 only has the solution that x=0. However 0y = 0 does not just have the solution that y=0, rather it has the solution y=anything. This makes the solutuion the entire imaginary axis (x=0), does that make sense.

5. Jul 2, 2007 #4
    Yeah it makes sense, thanks a lot the both of you...
    Physicsforums again proves a real gem..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook